Portfolio Sites

Hello, my name is Ben.

I am wanting to make a portfolio website for my photography work for the course I am doing in Web Design. I would just like to get some feedback from anyone who has a portfolio site. I would like to find out;

How effective has your site been for getting you work? Also, if you have any advice that you could give to me with creating my site.

Thanks for any responses.

Thanks for your reply but I have got to create my own site for my web design course. I just need to find out from people/companies with portfolio websites how effective their site is with getting them work :)

Thanks for your reply but I have got to create my own site for my web design course. I just need to find out from people/companies with portfolio websites how effective their site is with getting them work :)

I wouldn't say a portfolio alone will get you work. You should also present your business, explain what you do and how you do it and so on. Of course a portfolio is an important part of a designer's website but there are other things you should include if it is there to generate business. Where a portfolio only website does work is when it is a reference point for customers you have acquired through other channels and you want a nice, uncluttered design to show off your talent at its best.

Hope that helps.

I use Cargo and I would recommend it, I have had lots of great feedback on my work. Plus it is incredible value for money at an extremely cheap price, (cheapest I've seen/heard of anyway).

The reason I created my site Ronnoco Design was so that I had a portfolio to help me get new freelance work, but I've been so busy over the recent months with various things that it is now just used for my own pleasure, I update it when I design something new or something gets published.

It still does however represent a portfolio, to make it I used a premium version of the TFJ YATA template on Joomla. You could do something similar with another Joomla template or Wordpress perhaps.

Well i have not any portfolio site & also i was not worked for any portfolio site, but i would like to say please don't use flash it will effect on site speed also check out few world best portfolio sites & there design which helps you create good design, like daviantart & behance which most popular sites & you can also take advantage from there designing.
Thanks

Hello everyone. First post :)

Sorry to jump on this thread but it saves creating a new one of a similar nature.

My query is slightly different to the OP's - I'm looking to create myself a portfolio website [I'm a Graphic Designer not a Photographer] as having a web presence is a good idea in this day and age!

Behance was my first thought, as it's a easy way of getting your work on-line etc. I should mention that I'm NOT worried about showcasing any web design ability [I'm more of a print designer with a hint of web experience, as appose to a web developer] so I'm happy with the layout of Behance. However, Cargo has also been mentioned to me - what would be the advantage of using Cargo?

One, perhaps odd, requirement though is that I [may] need a certain level of anonymity. Behance wouldn't offer me this, a quick google of my name I'm sure would bring up my Behance profile straight away! Would Cargo be a better choice, as it's less known for example? What I could do with is a password protected site maybe?

Cheers guys.

Hello everyone. First post :)

Sorry to jump on this thread but it saves creating a new one of a similar nature.

My query is slightly different to the OP's - I'm looking to create myself a portfolio website [I'm a Graphic Designer not a Photographer] as having a web presence is a good idea in this day and age!

Behance was my first thought, as it's a easy way of getting your work on-line etc. I should mention that I'm NOT worried about showcasing any web design ability [I'm more of a print designer with a hint of web experience, as appose to a web developer] so I'm happy with the layout of Behance. However, Cargo has also been mentioned to me - what would be the advantage of using Cargo?

One, perhaps odd, requirement though is that I [may] need a certain level of anonymity. Behance wouldn't offer me this, a quick google of my name I'm sure would bring up my Behance profile straight away! Would Cargo be a better choice, as it's less known for example? What I could do with is a password protected site maybe?

Cheers guys.

It sounds to me like you'd be better off with Cargo, especially as you require some anonymity. You can simply choose which details you want to include and exclude in your settings. It has a few more options regarding customisation as well, where as Behance portfolios pretty much all follow the same structure. I can sort you out with a Cargo invite if you want to take a look and give it a try?

Back