Portfolio sites such as Behance, Carbonmade, Portfoliobox etc.

Jimlad

What's your opinion of them? Do they look unprofessional, can they be made to look rather good in your opinion? Personally I'm tempted to dump my abortion of an iWeb website and get a Whoo! account on Carbonmade. The design puts the emphasis on the work and keeps things nice & simple. I've seen a few accounts on there looking rather striking too. Here's a couple of examples I like, not necessarily for the work, but how they've made the page look using their work:
http://pixiu23.carbonmade.com/
http://oyo.carbonmade.com/
kirsten ulve illustration

to the best of my knowledge there's no reason why you can't have a carbonmade AND a website, they both cater for different markets in a sense. Carbonmade is kind of a facebook of designers and some people will use it to find their designers while the web is well, the web in that it has google etc as it's search tool/advertising etc.

I haven't got a carbonmade although I may add it into my list of things to do along with my new site...

Levi said:
Carbonmade is kind of a facebook of designers and some people will use it to find their designers while the web is well, the web in that it has google etc

You sure you're not thinking of Linkedin or Behance tere, Levi? They follow the facebook model much more than Carbonmade which doesn't have any social or networking elements that I know of. As for the Google element, if you google my name you'll find my carbonmade account, and you can use it with google analytics for stats etc.

it was a more generalised description rather than going into specifics due to carbonmade having a search feature and 'industry' people are more likely to know of it than your website (unless you've done work with them).

Google side of things could be as simple as wrong keywords in your site text - theres a lot of variables.

Still my point stands in that there's no reason why you can't have both...

thanks for this Jim, Id never heard of Carbonmade before but its very impressive, ill be bookmarking that to check out properly later

my view on these sites are that they can potentially give you a more wide spread marketplace. I have a website as well as accounts on various portfolio sites and I do get feedback which then brings others to my main site. It's also a good link builder I find.

With these carbonmade portfolio's do you have to have carbonmade in the address or can it be set up to run from your own domain name?

Yes that's right. A "meh" account limits the amount of images and projects you can upload too. I'm tempted to upgrade to "Whoo!" and upload more work, get a logo up, domain, and whatnot. Mines in the middle of an overhaul at the moment in general.

I use Behance quite a lot because it makes up for the lack of cms on my current site. There is murmurings that Behance is releasing a 'Pro Mode' that will allow you to incorporate your profile into your own website, there isn't much info about it at the moment but I for one am intrigued!

bigdave said:
With these carbonmade portfolio's do you have to have carbonmade in the address or can it be set up to run from your own domain name?

Hi Dave,

Looks like you can set your own domain > How do I use a custom domain? : Carbonmade

I imagine it wqould just be some form of redirect or URL mask in the browser, so you might not see the long term effects of an SEO work, one downside to using these types of portfolio services IMO.

Greg

heads up Jim, Behance just released ProSite where you can create a website through here system and connect all your work from the usual behance portfolio

I think Portfoliobox can look quite good and professional, at least that was my main gool when I made it... The best way to know it you like the design of any of these sites is to check out their clients. Here you can find some of the portfoliobox clients: PortfolioBox - Clients and here are some more Top Photographers.

Jimlad said:
What's your opinion of them? Do they look unprofessional, can they be made to look rather good in your opinion? Personally I'm tempted to dump my abortion of an iWeb website and get a Whoo! account on Carbonmade. The design puts the emphasis on the work and keeps things nice & simple. I've seen a few accounts on there looking rather striking too. Here's a couple of examples I like, not necessarily for the work, but how they've made the page look using their work:
Sabas Renteria // Creative
OYO+LIAN DESIGN STUDIO : OYO+LIAN DESIGN STUDIO
kirsten ulve illustration
Good on you Jim lad! I don't have a problem with pre-existing portfolio sites. As long as it is easy for prospective clients to use and see that is all that matters.

Back