Portfolio review!

pepsi_tank2

Hey guys it's screamers design and I was wondering if you guys as a community could review my website! Please consider that I'm a 13 year old and have not gone to any lessons for programming. Anyway enough said here's the page: www.screamers design.tk if that link does not work try www.screamersdesign.dx.am thanks!
3yvu2epe.jpg

I'm sorry but this is going to sound very harsh, yes I know you're only 13 but that isn't the issue for me, we all have to start somewhere and we'll be happy to give feedback to help you improve.

However on your site you say
I am a Graphic Designer who just started. I have had Photoshop for about 3 weeks and have had Cinema 4D for 1 Week. For now I make logos and banners for free to get started!
and above you say

pepsi_tank2 said:
Please consider that I'm a 13 year old and have not gone to any lessons for programming.
This is what I have a BIG issue with. The fact that you're offering services to clients when you don't have the experience or knowledge to offer the services. Not only are you wasting the clients time you are in most cases offering them substandard work. If this is a field you want to get into then your work's quality and your reputation are two of the most important things you have.

You're also going against best practice in using photoshop for logo's, this is not the right program for logo's, we'll all pretty much tell you it should be illustrator for logo's except in certain circumstances.

Based on the work you don't have the understanding about colour theory, about layout and composition and many other aspects of what makes a good design. There is a huge amount of consideration that goes into the design of a GOOD logo.

For someone with only a week to 3 weeks experience the images are fine, you've obviously found certain features and run with them but you still have a long way to go. Learning the basics about colour theory, composition, layout and the right tool for the right job (pencil/pen and paper is always a good starting point) will help. As to the website, well it's just a black page with images centred so not really much to comment on if I'm honest.

If you want to get more experience look at past competitions/projects on people's sites or on forums and have a go yourself, either trying to replicate the 'winning' designs or by coming up with your own and asking for feedback from people like us.

We had a couple on here but the original threads moved and I can't find it (wolf soda if any admins read this), it was an 'open' brief but it would be a good start. Alternatively have a go at some of the older sketch comps etc.

Like I said this was going to be harsh, but don't let it get you down, design is one of the most difficult lines of work to get into and it's also one of the only jobs where you can get your work rejected and you need to go back to the drawing board to start over, it's all part of the process of creating good designs.

Ok! Thanks for the review! Ask you said about color theory I holded a couple books at my local library about it. As for illustrator I don't have it and most people making gaming youtube channel logos use photoshop like Muk nv SesO and Ferox. Many more use photoshop to re-create drawings or sketches as you said and make the logo a path then use the Export>Pass To Illustrator tool to export it as an .ai file then import into cinema 4d. It works!

It might not be the best but it works for what most people need and I will make logos in illustrator when I can buy it after I get a better computer.

From that article Levi, it seems the argument is more about whether the logo should be created in vector or raster format - of course it should be vector, but since CS6 PS now has a decent vector engine, that is plenty capable of dealing with many types of logos.

Logos either need to be designed in the vector format or at a high resolution, at least 1500x1500px otherwise you just cannot provide the deliverables in a professional state.

First one I came up with on google and it did the job....I couldn't be bothered to type it all out myself :)

I only make logos in ai format which you can do in photoshop. Cuz I put it into cinema 4d via merge option and use extrude nurbs

Hi Pepsi_tank2.

I've not read the above comments but just wanted to add a little comment. At 13 you've got a long way ahead of you. If you have a passion for design / development then there's no reason you can't get a job in that in 5-8 years. What I would say though that is key is that you have a passion for it, as otherwise you'll struggle to get anywhere.

For me I started out similarly to you, in my early teens messing around on photoshop creating graphics for forums and other little bits. It wasn't until I was 17 that I started realising I wanted to do design for a job, and not until about a year later that I started really looking at web development, the coding for websites. Since then though I've found I spend a tonne of time looking at new techniques, getting inspiration and simply doing more and more to increase my experience and skills.

When I look back at my earlier work (which I've been doing today as I'm clearing out old files) there are some embarrassing creations and some surprisingly good ones, but ultimately if you've got a passion for design / development I think there's always a way to make it. You've just got to want it enough that you'll put the work in to get you there.

Yeah, I think it's great that you're so interested at such a young age - but it is going to be difficult to sustain the interest, and it will be difficult for you to move forwards unless you get into the habit of looking for better ways to do everything, constantly, until you're in a stronger position. Even then you shouldn't stop but you're already successful at that point so you'll have most things down anyway. That means asking a LOT of questions and trying to make as many new contacts as you can, even if only for the reason that it's going to be a good few years before many people will take you seriously when you start touting for work.

Hey thanks guys! I think I ask too many questions because I get my dad mad and kicked out of class for asking to many. No improvement needed there! Haha! I also spend quite a lot of time (6/7 hours a week) watching tutorials and looking at logos/banners/ads. I really thank you for all the encouragement! Need to start a color book thing soon and also I'm working on a new website.

You can 'never' ask too many questions - unless the person you're talking to isn't interested ;)

That's great p_t. If this is your passion I wholeheartedly recommend it, but be prepared to put in the time it takes to learn and develop :)

Back