Portfolio (Is it good enough)

TheNoone

Recently i have viewed alot of online portfolio's
with designers showcasing there work.

Hence, this has put me of showcasing my present and recent work.
am i right by thinking theres no point of this sort of showcasing, until
you feel you have the upmost best work to deal with.

Some of the online stuff i have recently viewed, i can tell, designers have just got a few pieces
of ok work up just to fill a gap, so to speak.

I find this is very easily noticeable to a creative mind, and i know everyone has to start somewhere
but is this the wrong thing to do.
Or have i just gone mental, and dont have a clue what im talking about, because it doesnt half make
sense to me.

Cheers!

I think there's a case for, and against.

Of course all your work must reach a certain standard, but don't discount certain projects that 'fill a gap'; they may appeal to 1 person, and that 1 person may earn you more work!

I disagree, you have to be careful what you put on your portfolio, however if you didn't put any work on, the chances are the client would ask to see it anyways.
Personally, I only have 3 projects on my portfolio, but I've had plenty of hits to the site, resulting in work from companies and businesses.
I guess you have to think about which ones your clients have liked the most and had the best 'reviews' almost.

Check out here:

Five steps to a better design portfolio, by Jeffrey Veen

7 Tips For Improving Graphic Design Portfolios

Chris

I think that you should start displaying your work as soon as you have something to show! Whether thats one piece or 10 pieces of work, your best and only piece of work might be just what someone is looking for in a designer.

There's no shame in being a newbie in the industry so share your work! My company is new, my portfolio needs adding to but we're working hard on that. I'm proud of the work I have done so far regardless of the size of my portfolio.

Portfolios are adaptable, you can remove pieces and replace with better or different pieces over time. I wouldn't put up work that your not very happy with, nothing wrong with only having a few good pieces up there to start with that expands over time.

You need to show some work otherwise the potential clients have nothing to go on and are unlikely to put work your way. It does need to be work your proud of though, if you haven't got any then why not set your own briefs, only maker sure that you display next to these that they weren't 'live' jobs..

Its quality over quantity. I would only pick the very best for my portfolio. And I would only get peoples opinions on the finished product when I'm entirely happy with it myself.

its always good to start an online portfolio, as its always going to be changing anyways!!
atleast you're then getting some web design practice in!

I have loads of stuff on my portfolio, but i wont just fill it with crap, i have "coming soon" pages!

the sections where i have like 30 designs on, im always deleting one and replacing another!!

good luck! x

Its quality over quantity. I would only pick the very best for my portfolio. And I would only get peoples opinions on the finished product when I'm entirely happy with it myself.

I agree, having said that, I had many customers picking what I considered the poorest sample when I sent them over to them. This proves that not all customers will necessarily notice your best effort...

I agree, having said that, I had many customers picking what I considered the poorest sample when I sent them over to them. This proves that not all customers will necessarily notice your best effort...

That's fair enough I've had exactly the same to me and I've internally thought "Whyyyyy?"

But I was thinking in the context of a portfolio for getting a full time job. I guess you could say I have 2 portfolios, one business-like and professional for getting freelance...and one recruitment and employment focused which is more creative and has things on it like a CV etc. The Employer types are generally gonna be the "Design savvy" ones who will look for clear signs of Design ability, and know how to look for it. The customers can, as we all know, be a mixed bunch :icon_tongue_smilie:

Back