Portfolio-Feedback-Suggestions

well I'd like you to join in more first... maybe give an introduction here
plus I'm not going to download a zip file from a 1 post new member, I suspect most others will be the same... host it somewhere for us to look at it properly

Its a pdf. I like to live on the wild side.Not sure I would include scans of my qualifications, but that's just me. I'm guessing that's what they are as I don't speak German.

Levi said:
well I'd like you to join in more first... maybe give an introduction here
plus I'm not going to download a zip file from a 1 post new member, I suspect most others will be the same... host it somewhere for us to look at it properly
Thx for the answer, Levi. You're right.
So for an online view please look here:
http://www.viewdocsonline.com/document/8y1fjs
balders said:
Its a pdf. I like to live on the wild side. Not sure I would include scans of my qualifications, but that's just me. I'm guessing that's what they are as I don't speak German.
They are.

I'm not sure about those business cards, they look a bit Vista Printy for my liking

wac said:
I'm not sure about those business cards, they look a bit Vista Printy for my liking
Are you talking about the folding cards? There are no business cards in there.
One more thing:
Guys, what do you think about the overall design/appearance of the portfolio?

Hi Physalis,
A few points from taking a quick look-
  • Loose the lurid green to white gradient on the background - its drawing focus away from the work
  • Loose the cartoons that show up on some pages - do they serve a purpose?
You want the work to speak for itself, make sure you have big high quality images of the work, ideally printed out finished products.
Do you need the letters of recommendation and certificates in it, assuming this is what they are?
Slim the work down to your best pieces and maybe just a short blurb about who and what the project was and your solution. Dont write an essay on these, its just to provide a quick bit of info.

Yeah, the layout of presentation isn't very clear. I think you should specify what you want feedback on - a generic portfolio isn't going to get you much help. In any case, overall I think the designs could be improved on.. generally speaking there is too much text and not the best colours - oh, you should be leaving the really obvious drop shadows out. Keep it going.

I don't like the way the illustrations sit on the background. To be honest, I'd start over.

I'd go with white backgrounds, black text and a highlight of colour. I think it would look a lot more professional. Make the work the focus rather than everything else. It seems like the work is getting lost in the mix.

Less focus on the background. I've just gone through it twice and the first thing I remember is the radioactive green gradient.

The colours don't work for me. You want to show off your artistic prowess, so focus should be made on your actual artwork.

Whats with the thumb ID print?

I would say strip it back and focus on the important parts - get the type right and your specific artwork focused. I want to see what you are capable off, not how you can use a gradient tool for a background.

This is much more better than the last one physalis. I love the first page of your CV.
However there are a few things I want to point out.
Maybe you can take out the dotted line run across all the artwork on the second page and see how it looks like?
And one more thing is I suggest you to show only a few artwork on your CV and leave the rest in your portfolio.
Hope that helps!
Sureewoong

It's definitely a massive improvement, but there are still some things which need rectifying.
1. Remove the green and grey 'm' in the top left and find a way to incorporate that, as well as the CURRICULUM VITAE text into the middle/right area of the heading section.
2. Remove the grey lines around the edges of the document.
3. Remove the images from your CV and put them into a portfolio. You want to avoid making your CV too large.
4. I don't think anyone is going to be impressed by telling them you are a little bit skilled in MS Word/Powerpoint and a complete beginner in Excel.
5. Use higher quality images for the icons (this might be just a low quality upload?)
6. Either remove the grey dotted lines, or increase the spacing by about 3x what it currently is and make them lighter.
I look forward to seeing the results!

It's also worth having a .rtf or something plain as a version of your CV with no bells and whistles. Agencies find is easier to lift information compared to outlined text. Pull out the big guns later. All depends who you are applying to.

Squiddy said:
2. Remove the grey lines around the edges of the document.
5. Use higher quality images for the icons (this might be just a low quality upload?)
I look forward to seeing the results!
Sry, I dont know which grey lines you mean. The textboxes or the lines protruding from the 'm'?
It's a low quality upload, don't worry.
I'm currently finalizing a separate portfolio in the same design, but much simpler at the same time.
I like it, we'll see what you all think.^^

You're definitely getting there! One more round of simplification and I think you might have it.

Back