portfolio feedback please!

JB designs

Hey guys I'd be really grateful if you could take a look at my portfolio website and give me any feedback! Basically I reay want to be a graphic designer but don't know if I've got what it takes if some real designers could take a look and see if they think I'm on the right track id be really grateful. Not looking for a confidence boost but just honest critique.

Thanks in advance, the link is JODIE BENNETT - Portfolio

JB

I think it is a really nice portfolio. Im a complete beginner but I like to think I have a good eye. There are some people on here who call themselves desginers or professionals and your work is far better. Are you qualified or self taught? You have a nice range of work to show.

May I ask how you got the real world work? dor the dental practices etc? Did you approach them or they you? (Im asking for my own info as a beginner wanting to get more work for my portfollio) Also did you do your own website?

Im sure you'll have some great feedback from here! The people here are great for advice!

Hey,

Thanks for your feedback it's much appreciated! When I finished school I started designing posters for my local charity 'Havens Hospices' which got me in a creative atmosphere even though it was unpaid I didn't and still don't mind as it's given me the opportunity to learn new skills with an actual brief in mind!

The logos (DuskTilDawn, Jackie's Cakes, Electro products) were done for friends of friends or family members! (i'm also trying to find out the best way to get work as i'm also a beginner!) The other logos are actually just fictional. Have you tried looking at places like crowdSpring? Even if you don't enter any competitions its useful to get an idea of what people want/briefs etc and a chance to see how other people work as well! Sorry, i'm probably in the same boat as you at this point!

I used the wordpress platform to do my website because it's easier to post items as your portfolio expands and my web design skills aren't very good at the moment!

What stage are you at? Thanks again for looking at my portfolio I really do appreciate it!!

Have a good day,
JB

Mmm. Im not really at a stage yet. I've done bits and bobs here and there. I work and single mum so I dont have much time to practice. Im hoping to take the leap and do a broad multimedia foundation next Sept and hopefully this will get me into the swing of things.

I need to start doing more design jobs really to build a portfolio up. Would you mid if I pm'd you? I;d like to know how the whole wordpress thing works. I;ve looked into but always end up confused and think I'll look at it another time. Think I've done that a few times now!

Thanks for the advice again!

Hello Jodie.

I like your portfolio and it is good based on what you've said in the previous post re. experience and training.
Your site is simple and offers enough little 'tasters' of your work and the theme is a sensible one as it suits the scale of your logos/work. Good stuff!

I agree that your work is better and more nicely presented than some others on here that offer their services in a 'professional' capacity.

:)

Paul

I need to start doing more design jobs really to build a portfolio up. Would you mid if I pm'd you? I;d like to know how the whole wordpress thing works. I;ve looked into but always end up confused and think I'll look at it another time. Think I've done that a few times now

Of course you can! It's that first transition that's a bit scary but I think you just gotta go for it in my opinion!

Thank you for your feedback Paul! It's definitely good to know that my stuff is not too awful! Look forward to expanding and sharing new projects in the future as i've just taken a leap of faith and quit my job in persuit of becoming a designer so it really means a lot to me to get it right and prove to myself i've made the right decision!!

Thanks again :)

Nice Work

Hey, Im new here too, I really like your portfolio, some good clean designs there, the one thing I did notice as a web designer is the URL still includes wordpress, which gives it a slightly less professional edge. In wordpress there are settings to chenge the URL that is displayed, might be worth a look! Either that or buy a cheap .co.uk domain name and framed forward it to your site. Other than that its great!

Hey, Im new here too, I really like your portfolio, some good clean designs there, the one thing I did notice as a web designer is the URL still includes wordpress, which gives it a slightly less professional edge. In wordpress there are settings to chenge the URL that is displayed, might be worth a look! Either that or buy a cheap .co.uk domain name and framed forward it to your site. Other than that its great!

Thank you! This was going to be one of my next questions actually! I tried to do that on my wordpress and then everything went to pot basically and my site was listing everything as like a root directory? I had a word with someone and they said it needed a .htcaccess file which I did but still nothing happened. My friend suggested the problem would be with my host (free host service) and so i've just created a landing link from jodiebennett.org.uk to where the files are at /wordpress.! I agree it's not very professional so would you have any ideas or do you reckon it's also my web host provider?

Thanks in advance!

Jodie

Hi, jodie,

I really like your logo's and Retro posters, they are a classic! well done. I recently did idea'sand layout's for a magazine cover called stonham home group, i worked in a group which i love doing!!

Keep it up:icon_smile:

Hey thanks! I've added a Facebook plugin now if anyone wanted to comment / critique the individual posts.

Again, much appreciated, thank you!

JB

Back