Portfolio critique

Amy_Alternate

Hey guys, I am new to this forum but would really appreciate some constructive critisism of my portfolio and website. I have only just put the site and portfolio together as I am hoping to start workign as a freelance designer. I have just completed my first year of a Fda Graphic Design course.

The stuff in my portfolio is a mixture of random illustrations and some class assignments (I haven't had any real clients yet).

The website is very basic, however it suits its purpose and is the best I can afford at the moment! <--poor student!

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

www.alternate-design.co.uk <--portfolio can be found here :)

Hi Amy

Not a lot of work to comment on yet... but I like the Rosefox logo and some of the illustrations are OK. The website is fine (I take it you speak Polish too?) apart from (and I'm the devil for this!!) you have typos which don't make for professional (note the spelling) work. Some words are basic for designers and you shouldn't be getting them wrong! If you aren't good at spelling always get someone else to read over your work, even if you are good it's a good idea anyway!

But the website functions well and shows your personality, which is good. Keep adding/changing the work as you get pieces that show off your design ability better. Good luck!

Hi Amy

Not a lot of work to comment on yet... but I like the Rosefox logo and some of the illustrations are OK. The website is fine (I take it you speak Polish too?) apart from (and I'm the devil for this!!) you have typos which don't make for professional (note the spelling) work. Some words are basic for designers and you shouldn't be getting them wrong! If you aren't good at spelling always get someone else to read over your work, even if you are good it's a good idea anyway!

But the website functions well and shows your personality, which is good. Keep adding/changing the work as you get pieces that show off your design ability better. Good luck!

Hi Kate, thank you for this! Yeah, I'm struggling a little as to what kind of work to put on there...at the moment all I have are my class assignments and bits and bats! Hopefully ill have more soon :` Spelling has been fixed and no I don't speak Polish, that would be my friend/class mate so I have no excuse for the spelling errors lol! Anyway, thanks again! All feedback is appreciated :)

Feedback - like the black and white and your logo but the way you've set out the website means that I do have to hunt a bit to find the work. Maybe play around with how you present it.

Have to say I did get a bit confused for a moment when I clicked on portfolio as to where the work was, forgetting that the menu was on the right hand side! (Guess that's my fault though and not yours haha)

I like the idea behind the Rosefox logo, although I'm not a huge fan of the type that you've used on it when it's inside the grey circle. It seems more suited in the alternative versions and placements, but it just doesn't feel right for me inside the grey circle so I'd perhaps ignore that version of it. Also, although I appreciate the '& Printing Supplies' is a touch smaller on the others too, I also think that seems out of place in the grey circle because it's all on the same line, so even though it all seems to carry on across one line it feels out of place to alter the heights.

I really like your illustrations though, maybe nothing spectacular but there are little features and attributes in each that, combined, could be brilliant. The fact that there are a few different styles of illustration is good too i.e. the DearS illustration is clearly entirely different to the Stupid Fish, yet they're both very good in their own ways.

Feedback - like the black and white and your logo but the way you've set out the website means that I do have to hunt a bit to find the work. Maybe play around with how you present it.

Hey, thank you! Yeah I do need to play around with that part, I think ill try and get everything on one page! Maybe that be easier to navigate...

Have to say I did get a bit confused for a moment when I clicked on portfolio as to where the work was, forgetting that the menu was on the right hand side! (Guess that's my fault though and not yours haha)

I like the idea behind the Rosefox logo, although I'm not a huge fan of the type that you've used on it when it's inside the grey circle. It seems more suited in the alternative versions and placements, but it just doesn't feel right for me inside the grey circle so I'd perhaps ignore that version of it. Also, although I appreciate the '& Printing Supplies' is a touch smaller on the others too, I also think that seems out of place in the grey circle because it's all on the same line, so even though it all seems to carry on across one line it feels out of place to alter the heights.

I really like your illustrations though, maybe nothing spectacular but there are little features and attributes in each that, combined, could be brilliant. The fact that there are a few different styles of illustration is good too i.e. the DearS illustration is clearly entirely different to the Stupid Fish, yet they're both very good in their own ways.

Hi! Yeah, I didnt really like the Rosefox logo on the grey background. That was one of my earlier developments..I was never sure but something just didnt look right! Maybe it was the text being smaller, I never even thought of that...! Anyway, thanks for taking the time to look and give some advice! Much appreciated :)

Back