Portfolio Critique / Tips and help needed

TGCGRAPHICS

Hello!!

Okay so I've just started creating a blog/portfolio, I've spent around an hour designing it and getting use to the way it works

Please tell me how to make it better or tips on what can be put in to make it more appealing and if you could refer me to people as im need of work.

Be blunt, honest whatever. It always helps get put on the right path to success :thumb:

Thanks

TGC Graphics
19 Year old graphic designer

Clarke creative,
Just had a look at your website, its nice and all, but the first banner (digital fluency) is very pixelated, ever thought of a new design for that?

I agree the website is over pixelated and the orange does need adjusting - but thats not my site?

My has yet to go live.

Sorry I was just a little shocked at the criticism aimed at someone at your calibre Clark! Just thought it was a little cheeky especially when asking for critique for his work!

Ohhhh cat fight!

:focus: Personally it looks kinda 'shrink to fit content' to me. nothing appears to have much space to breath. Also the typeface looks very odd/pixely? So maybe have a play with that. And the content on the about me is a bit cringey. Maybe tone the language down a bit :/ And maybe I'd switch your name in the subhead and graphic designer around? You should be the focus IMO!!

I don't mean to sound mean, but overall it feels a bit amateurish. The copy is lacking any finesse, and you sound a bit desperate ("Contact me at any time of the day and i will reply asap, I’m open to ALL kinds of graphic designs," etc).

I'd look at other designer portfolios to see how they've written about their work. People won't care that you created XYZ because someone liked on of your other designs, they want to know about the thinking behind the design, what problems did you solve, how is it different to their work, etc? Also, maybe talk about the individual logos, what do they mean, why did you design them that way, etc?

Some changes I'd make:

Put your work on your landing page so it's the first thing people see (and tailor the copy to suit). In Wordpress you simply make the portfolio page the index page.

Make your "hire me' page an actual page, not a post (and just use one title, maybe "Get a quote", it's less 'commital')

Check the spelling and grammar in your copy (capital 'I' , 'whether' not 'weather' for example) or ask someone to do it for you if it's not your strong point.

"Remember take out the current details on the form and enter yours" - remove that, it's a little patronising

Add a link to the live version of the websites you've created if they're online so people can see for themselves.

Everything Paul said. It's a bit too busy for my liking. I'd try and get a bit if consistency in there as well. It's worth taking a look at other designers sites and get an idea of how to do things. No-one is good enough that they have nothing left to learn. I'm giving my website an overhaul now because I'm not happy with it and as long as you are in this job you never stop learning and taking inspiration.

^^^This - especially the bit about the copy; I couldn't decide if what I was reading was arrogant, desperate or something else altogether but it hardly mattered in the end as it was all undermined by the spelling and grammatical errors. I can't speak for everyone but I'd run a mile from anyone offering me a professional service who couldn't be arsed to give a decent account of themselves on that score.

basically what paul said. and also with wot ian said,
it's worth taking a look at other designers sites and get an idea of how to do things. No-one is good enough that they have nothing left to learn
and as ian is doing i am about to update my own site, your website will always evolve with new content, new ideas, new structure

I don't mean to sound mean, but overall it feels a bit amateurish. The copy is lacking any finesse, and you sound a bit desperate ("Contact me at any time of the day and i will reply asap, I’m open to ALL kinds of graphic designs," etc).

I'd look at other designer portfolios to see how they've written about their work. People won't care that you created XYZ because someone liked on of your other designs, they want to know about the thinking behind the design, what problems did you solve, how is it different to their work, etc? Also, maybe talk about the individual logos, what do they mean, why did you design them that way, etc?

Some changes I'd make:

Put your work on your landing page so it's the first thing people see (and tailor the copy to suit). In Wordpress you simply make the portfolio page the index page.

Make your "hire me' page an actual page, not a post (and just use one title, maybe "Get a quote", it's less 'commital')

Check the spelling and grammar in your copy (capital 'I' , 'whether' not 'weather' for example) or ask someone to do it for you if it's not your strong point.

"Remember take out the current details on the form and enter yours" - remove that, it's a little patronising

Add a link to the live version of the websites you've created if they're online so people can see for themselves.

Thanks for all your help, one thing I'm not sure of is how to change the index page and portfolio around, would you mind telling me how?

In your Wordpress admin page, on the left should sidebar, hover over Settings then got to Reading and in their you should be able to set a specific page for your front page. You may have to create a new blank page called Blog or something and set that as your posts page.

Definitely check your spelling and grammar. Some of the copy does come across as arrogance so I'd maybe address that too.

I don't think the Chat Room link is necessary?

Can't fault the quality of the photo manipulation work though.

Firstly, I really like your work! The photo manipulations are very nice and the other pieces look good too, so I'd say that you've got a great starting point and it's just a case of finding the best way to let your work do the talking.

As has been mentioned by everyone else though, your copy really needs adjusting. I would probably alter your home page so that you have some introductory text as opposed to a very long page of images and odd lines here and there. I would knock the font size down a few points too as it comes across as very large making the text seem a lot harder to read; it's not necessary, everyone copes fine on every other website so it isn't a problem to bring it down.

Like Ian suggested, have a look around lots of other design sites and read their copy to see how things are generally worded and to think of angles to take it. I think the 'What I Do' page can be mixed in with the 'About' page, the 'Chat Room' Page isn't necessary and then I'd create a portfolio page to take the work away from the home page. Personally, I'd try to find a different way of laying out your work as opposed to just having all of the larger images in a long list so, again, have a look through other sites to get a feel of how the work is typically shown.

That way, I'd say you just need Home, About, Portfolio, Hire. That should be sufficient.

Back