Portfolio Content.

Fruitbat

Im in the process of sorting out a portfolio on CargoCollective... just a temp thing until i get a website sorted.

Im sorting all of the content but I'm not sure what stuff to add and what to take away..
any ideas?
no.13

thanks x:)

the earth image... if you're going to show something on your site at least make sure it's correct.... the earth does not have 2 crusts, it has 2 mantles (upper and lower)

Some of your works really good. I'd lose those studenty swiss posters, it's been done to death.

Bigger images would be nice if you stayed with Cargo (and tbh I can't see why you wouldn't...)

ChrisRobinson said:
Im in the process of sorting out a portfolio on CargoCollective... just a temp thing until i get a website sorted.

Im sorting all of the content but I'm not sure what stuff to add and what to take away..
any ideas?
no.13

thanks x:)

This is why its blue and green. its my take on the design. not all are shown with two mantles and two cores either.

Edit*oops quoted wrong comment

But it's wrong..... you know showing incorrect work on your site is bad....

You can not have two crusts, it's not possible, the crust is the outermost layer of an object... besides your picture is not the scientifically agreed on layout for the Earth, therefore you've not followed the 'brief' or standard educational/scientific references.

Not exactly what I'd want to see if I was thinking of hiring someone....

Levi said:
But it's wrong..... you know showing incorrect work on your site is bad....

You can not have two crusts, it's not possible, the crust is the outermost layer of an object... besides your picture is not the scientifically agreed on layout for the Earth, therefore you've not followed the 'brief' or standard educational/scientific references.

Not exactly what I'd want to see if I was thinking of hiring someone....

you don't seem to take in what people type..
It's my take on it. theres about 4-5 ways of doing it. i've shown the layers of the water and earth, thats it. theres nothing incorrect about it

you've labelled it up as crusts (with 2 lines), mantle etc.... the thickness of the second crust is the same as the mantle which is just wrong if you're trying to do water and land, they'd both be relatively thin.

Your picture is wrong, trust me on this one.

Levi said:
you've labelled it up as crusts (with 2 lines), mantle etc.... the thickness of the second crust is the same as the mantle which is just wrong if you're trying to do water and land, they'd both be relatively thin.

Your picture is wrong, trust me on this one.

It isn't ;) but it's you;re opinion and you're welcome to share it!

Crust is labeled together (one thing) if i wanted to show two crusts they would have been labeled individually

well if you want to have incorrect information in your portfolio thats your choice.

Trust me though that will be picked up on by anyone wanting that sort of work but hey you're a student and they know everything right :p

Levi said:
Trust me though that will be picked up on by anyone wanting that sort of work but hey you're a student and they know everything right :p

That's certainly how it's coming across to me.

Sorry but this is simply wrong. You cannot have your own take on a fact. Facts are called facts because they are scientifically accurate and proven, there is no opinion involved... Unless of course you're a scientist with sufficient research to show that the earth has two crusts? (Which is impossible because the definition of a crust is the outermost layer (Unless of course this is your own take on the definition of a crust?))

It seems to me that you're saying you haven't shown two crusts as they are labelled together, well, to me it looks very much like you have given the planet two crusts.

Your picture is wrong. I was also a little disappointed at the facts you chose, I mean, some of those I would consider to be common knowledge and not something that would make me go "Oh wow, I didn't know that!", as you'd expect from a list of random (not common) facts. Unless this is your take on random facts? ;)

You also need to take Justin Bieber out of your Photography section :D As for the work in your portfolio, there's definitely too much. I would say just pick your top 5 pieces in each category. They need to be made into thumbnails as well otherwise that's a lot of scrolling.

Squiddy said:
That's certainly how it's coming across to me.

Sorry but this is simply wrong. You cannot have your own take on a fact. Facts are called facts because they are scientifically accurate and proven, there is no opinion involved... Unless of course you're a scientist with sufficient research to show that the earth has two crusts? (Which is impossible because the definition of a crust is the outermost layer (Unless of course this is your own take on the definition of a crust?))

It seems to me that you're saying you haven't shown two crusts as they are labelled together, well, to me it looks very much like you have given the planet two crusts.

Your picture is wrong. I was also a little disappointed at the facts you chose, I mean, some of those I would consider to be common knowledge and not something that would make me go "Oh wow, I didn't know that!", as you'd expect from a list of random (not common) facts. Unless this is your take on random facts? ;)

You also need to take Justin Bieber out of your Photography section :D As for the work in your portfolio, there's definitely too much. I would say just pick your top 5 pieces in each category. They need to be made into thumbnails as well otherwise that's a lot of scrolling.

*face palm*
im not, by any means a know it all student. if I was, i wouldn't be here.

The earth crust is labeled as one (one whole thing) if i wanted to say there were two surely id say inner and outer crust and label individually.

I was given the facts in uni.. i didn't choose them hah

As for the content. i know theres too much but I'm struggling with taking away

ChrisRobinson said:
The earth crust is labeled as one (one whole thing) if i wanted to say there were two surely id say inner and outer crust and label individually.

Squiddy said:

As I said, I'm aware that you believe you haven't shown two crusts, what I'm (and I believe Levi also) are trying to point out is that the way you've designed it makes it look like you have given it two crusts.

As for uni giving you all the facts, well... let's not bring up the standards of education discussion!

ChrisRobinson said:
As for the content. i know theres too much but I'm struggling with taking away

I'm really not sure what you meant by this. There wasn't too much content, I just found the facts rather boring. Would it have been too hard to look up some more interesting ones? Your teachers might praise you to no end for your work but don't forget that it serves another purpose too; they are the first pieces of work that go into your portfolio and as such it will be judged by employers and other clients. You need to make this work as good as you can. It's not enough just to please your teachers!

I mean the online portfolio has too much content :p

Oh heck that earth info graphic isn;t going in my portfolio hah. Only some of my stronger apparel print work, branding etc. not that sort of stuff because at the moment i know I'm dreadful at it x

I don't think you're dreadful at it all, especially if you say the information was provided by the uni. Things just need a few tweaks to improve them. I would include your earth poster if you get rid of that second crust and improve the facts.

well it's pretty obvious the picture is labelled as having 2 crusts... 'crusts' has 2 lines coming from it while the others don't...

Nice earth posters, really nice style - but they definitely read wrong. 2 lines, one statement. Im no genius but thats wrong. Overall a pretty nice portfolio.

Nice work. All else I would say would be reiterating previous comments about the Earth image appearing to label two crusts. If you were told it had two, you were lied to. If you are trying to label one crust, make that clear and don't separate it into two, because that confuses the information you're attempting to communicate.

And yes, definitely slim the work down, only have your absolute best on display.

Back