Please review my portfolio site

Hi Ash, welcome to the community! :icon_smile:
I had a look at your freelance website on my tablet.

I like your large opening image, however using a MacBook or Apple is becoming repetitive across other rival freelancer websites. Could you not include a photo of your notebook showing sketches, notes, wireframes, etc - this may enforce your productivity and how you work to prospect clients. Also your Mac screen image shows branding not a website or coding language, something relevant to your service.

I'm not too keen on your self-branding, could you explore different avenues?

The 'About' navigation link is not consistent with the overall interaction of your site, as it just scrolls down through all the content of that particular page before stopping to your about section in the footer. Do you feel your about me is best placed in the footer?

Also you have replicated your social media icons; footer and copyright section.

When I go to a different page, your big heading flickers during animation but when refreshing that same page the animation is much smoother.

I may sound a little picky but if you could load up the content animation by a second that may make a difference.

Lastly, are you happy displaying prices on your website?

Last edited:
Hi Ash, welcome to the community! :icon_smile:
I had a look at your freelance website on my tablet.

I like your large opening image, however using a MacBook or Apple is becoming repetitive across other rival freelancer websites. Could you not include a photo of your notebook showing sketches, notes, wireframes, etc - this may enforce your productivity and how you work to prospect clients. Also your Mac screen image shows branding not a website or coding language, something relevant to your service.

I'm not too keen on your self-branding, could you explore different avenues?

The 'About' navigation link is not consistent with the overall interaction of your site, as it just scrolls down through all the content of that particular page before stopping to your about section in the footer. Do you feel your about me is best placed in the footer?

Also you have replicated your social media icons; footer and copyright section.

When I go to a different page, your big heading flickers during animation but when refreshing that same page the animation is much smoother.

I may sound a little picky but if you could load up the content animation by a second that may make a difference.

Lastly, are you happy displaying prices on your website?

I really appreciate the feedback. I am going to be redesigning my website in a few months and adding some more functionality. Header image will be changing with this.

Please could you elaborate on the self-branding - what would be your suggestions?

I am going to be adding an 'about' page soon.

Point taken about the animation, I will look into getting this fixed.

The prices I have on the SEO page aren't really prices as such, it's just guidelines. I think it will give people a better understanding of the cost before contacting.

Cheers

Please could you elaborate on the self-branding - what would be your suggestions?

If I can focus on the originality of your logo. I don't think it accommodates with your calibre of work. Your brand image is what represents your services, values and advantages over your competitors but I believe your logo design is generic rather than unique.

What was your reason to purchase '.guru' domain extension as opposed to '.pro' - what meaning/idea are you trying to portray?
However as you do have a unique domain name "ash.guru", could you not research associated meanings for 'guru' or even 'Ash'?

For example:
"Dove" denotes a particular kind of bird, but many of us also associate it with gentleness and peace.

Basically exploring meaning and implementing the idea to create a logo.
Or you could choose a clean sharp typeface and play with the kerning. Nothing unnecessarily fancy.

I hope this helps, of course this is my opinion. I just don't want your brand to weaken the image of high-level experience you offer, hence "guru", by a 'weak' logo.

If I can focus on the originality of your logo. I don't think it accommodates with your calibre of work. Your brand image is what represents your services, values and advantages over your competitors but I believe your logo design is generic rather than unique.

What was your reason to purchase '.guru' domain extension as opposed to '.pro' - what meaning/idea are you trying to portray?
However as you do have a unique domain name "ash.guru", could you not research associated meanings for 'guru' or even 'Ash'?

For example:
"Dove" denotes a particular kind of bird, but many of us also associate it with gentleness and peace.

Basically exploring meaning and implementing the idea to create a logo.
Or you could choose a clean sharp typeface and play with the kerning. Nothing unnecessarily fancy.

I hope this helps, of course this is my opinion. I just don't want your brand to weaken the image of high-level experience you offer, hence "guru", by a 'weak' logo.

I guess I didn't really put much thought into branding/logo at the time of designing since I'm a freelancer I just though I would use my name. I am definitely open to rebranding but I don't think it would be one of the most important changes to make.

When writing the copy for the site I just wanted to get straight to the point with what I offer rather than having some flannel about why you should choose me.

I will definitely take your criticisms into consideration when redesigning the site. Again, I appreciate the feedback. :)

Back