Please help, need advice on a logo design...

theinkydeer

Hi,
I’m new here :)
I am primarily a watercolour artist, but a lot of my work involves digital design as I have recently started taking on client work.

I have just been asked to create a logo design for a small business, but the client wants to use existing artwork from my portfolio. I have no idea how I’d price something like this as it’s not a custom piece so would require less time, but I don’t want to give it to them for nothing either.
They said they are okay if I keep the rights to the design, which is important as it is also design that I currently sell as prints, greetings cards and on other products. Its also a piece that I have used when working with another company (though not as a logo), so I’m not sure how they would feel about that.
I also have no idea what kind of licence I would need to sell them either :confused:

I don’t have many commissions under my belt and have only worked with a handful of clients so far, but never on a logo. Whilst I am trying to take on more new work to help increase my client base and build up experience, I feel I am so unsure with this that I am considering declining the opportunity :(
Please help? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Many Thanks,
Daisy

hi Daisy,

welcome to the forum

you could work on the price by how long the original artwork took you to construct and then the integration into a logo.

licence wise you need to think what can they use it for. Print / online, also can the adapt and change it, could they sell it on t-shirts. Also you need to state clearly that it is not for their sole use.

Hi Daisy, nice work there!

I would work on charging around 50% (+ your design charges) of what it originally cost you to do it, but first of all you need to check with the company who used it before, as long
as they paid for it of course. They might have presumed they were getting a unique piece of work.

Because it will be for a logo, I don't think you could limit their usage of it.

hi Daisy,

welcome to the forum

you could work on the price by how long the original artwork took you to construct and then the integration into a logo.

licence wise you need to think what can they use it for. Print / online, also can the adapt and change it, could they sell it on t-shirts. Also you need to state clearly that it is not for their sole use.

The licence side of things seems as though it could become incredibly complicated, especially as I am already using the image myself. Perhaps I may have to suggest a new design altogether! Thank you for your advice.

Hi Daisy, nice work there!

I would work on charging around 50% (+ your design charges) of what it originally cost you to do it, but first of all you need to check with the company who used it before, as long
as they paid for it of course. They might have presumed they were getting a unique piece of work.

Because it will be for a logo, I don't think you could limit their usage of it.

Thank you! :) And yes, I would certainly check with the other company first. Although, it wasn't a piece made exclusively for them, it was an existing piece then as well, but I did sign a contract regarding the rights, so will have to check that. I'll probably suggest something else, as there could be too many legal problems.

Back