Please give critique my poster for drawing course.

Corabict

I did a poster - (for screen purpose and not print) - for an artist who wants to advertise about an upcoming drawing course. Hence I made this concept.
I want a detailed critique for:
Space, Color, and (logo + message) size down right in the design
=======
note:
1. I did a full stair version without perspective to approve the concept first and if it's good then I will do it the right way.

2.everything in the design is created from scratch.
Don't hold your horses.
---
lastly - you can skip that part if you just don't have time -
I hate every design I create just after a day of finishing it, I just don't know if it's just me or everyone undergo that stage in the start of their career, I mean I finished this design on the 25th of may and I just didn't think to give it another look and I hesitated whether to upload it for critique or not for so long, not because of harsh critique - Actually I kind of ignore positive reviews and crave the critiques to improve my design and that's all I care about. but do you think that I'm in the wrong spot or that's just normal?

GuideLines.JPG Texture and layers.JPG 14. staircase - 1024 .jpg 12.Full staircase 1024.jpg

your lower steps are not at the right angles, I can tell that just from looking at them (I do 3D design so I naturally visualise in 3D these days). Actually looking at it agin, they're all off.

Didn't realise it was a pencil straight away.

Also maybe it's me but if I'm wanting to attract people to a 'drawing class' would it not be better to show the tutors drawing skills....

Perspective of the most brown part looks really strange same for the "door"/arch at the top of the stairs....Not really effective for a drawing course. I'm agree with Levi about the fact of showing tutors drawing skills onto the poster could be more effective and attracting. If I can say more and it's just my own point of view but your poster doesn't represent the slogan : Sky is the limit.

Good luck!

As someone who has no drawing skills, I thought this concept is amazing, I actually love it. Although, I see now how the perspective is off, but for someone who doesn't notice these things, it's pretty cool.

On your other note, I hate everything I design too, but other people love it so much they pay me money for them, so I must be doing something right, right? The only reason I hate everything I do is because I know it can be done better, and I'm a perfectionist, I just came to the conclusion one day that I'm never going to be happy. That's why I don't have any tattoos, because I get bored with the same boring designs over time. I don't own any art, I don't like art, I don't like looking at the same thing every day.

I quite like it actually. Maybe I am conceptualising too much but isn't the perspective off purposefully? I see it as pencil sharpenings forming a spiral staircase, in which case it would not make sense for them to be at the correct angles.

I'm a perfectionist, I just came to the conclusion one day that I'm never going to be happy. That's why I don't have any tattoos, because I get bored with the same boring designs over time. I don't own any art, I don't like art, I don't like looking at the same thing every day.

I'm exactly the same! We were born on the same day for a reason... wow that sounds a bit creepy.

your lower steps are not at the right angles, I can tell that just from looking at them (I do 3D design so I naturally visualise in 3D these days). Actually looking at it agin, they're all off.
I was really shocked then delighted by your comments on the perspective Because I spend some time doing it in illustrator line by line but didn't think for a second that it was wrong as it's based on a theory. So I wish if you can help me know where I got it wrong, or maybe it's because of the outer dark brown line. I really need to know how to fix it. here are the guidelines without outer line and without stairs. and thank you

Attachments

• Without resideu-01.jpg
    Without resideu-01.jpg
    983.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 2-01.jpg
    2-01.jpg
    845.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 3-01.jpg
    3-01.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 4
I quite like it actually. Maybe I am conceptualising too much but isn't the perspective off purposefully? I see it as pencil sharpenings forming a spiral staircase, in which case it would not make sense for them to be at the correct angles.
it would still be wrong because the 'tip' end of the pencil would be thinner on all of them where as now there's some steps which are 'rectangular'. No matter which way you look at it his stairs are off because the initial 'outline' planning is off, he neglected the changes needed for the perspective when considering the depth of the image from the starting point.

To be honest it's not an easy thing to explain

Corabit, you're basically trying to do your 3D using a sort of 3 point perspective when you should be using a 5 or even a 6 point perspective.
http://termespheres.com/6-point-perspective/

Your 'horizontal guides' along the top left should be getting smaller the nearer the back of the scene as well.

I'm agree with Levi about the fact of showing tutors drawing skills onto the poster could be more effective and attracting. If I can say more and it's just my own point of view but your poster doesn't represent the slogan : Sky is the limit.

This design will be used over facebook page, and his facebook has a lot of examples on his drawing, and I made a poster with his pictures about 4 months ago and i don't know but i think it's not that worthy of a review. What I tried to communicate is that the drawing course will give you perspective as the usual human eyes see but doesn't analyse the eye of any artist look at shapes, perspective, planes ... etc. So the course will provide you with the tools to make objects look 3 dimensional instead of flat art. and the higher the stairs you climb, the better artist you are. As for the sky is the limit slogan I did the full stair that goes beyond the frame of the design to connotate that meaning of there are no limits to what you will learn or achieve. Maybe that's too complicated and not that clear. anyway here's the old design.

Attachments

• Once.Tall.Becomes.Small.Final-logo.jpg
    Once.Tall.Becomes.Small.Final-logo.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 6
Practically twins!
That make us triplet, I'm a perfectionist too and I always think there must be better work here all the time. But thanks to both of you, now I don't feel like I'm going the wrong way, and that I'm not alone with that mindset. Thanks for the both of you.

And for CLHB, I really thought that stairs have the tolerance to be slightly off, but it seems that the whole perspective is just wrong. and that is not what I intended in the first place.

To be honest it's not an easy thing to explain

Corabit, you're basically trying to do your 3D using a sort of 3 point perspective when you should be using a 5 or even a 6 point perspective.
http://termespheres.com/6-point-perspective/

Your 'horizontal guides' along the top left should be getting smaller the nearer the back of the scene as well.

Actually, my knowledge stops at 3 point perspective, and I didn't know that I should use 6 point perspective, so that makes me somehow Illiterate on the subject of perspective. I will study more and try to fix it then I will come back to have your approval on it.

Thanks a lot for pointing out what I couldn't see.

The best way I can describe what you're aiming for is a 'dome' on the flat end of a cone where the dome is how your eyesight adjusts for things close up and the cone is everything disappearing into the backgorund. Like I say it's not an easy thing to explain when it's just something thats completely natural for me to do freehand etc.

Back