please advise on new site design

john247

I am a photographer and not a web designer so need some advise / feedback about my site at

6 mile smile photography

I have designed the site using serif webplus - which probably isn't a very good idea. I have downloaded a wordpress theme called strange v2 that looks really good but I am struggling to set it up properly (any advice / help with this as well would be really good)

Please be constructive and simple in your feedback as I really want the site to not only look goodbut work quickly as well

Thanks for you help

John

Hey John,

Not a great fan of the site as it stands, it's fairly simple and boring looking, not creative like a photographer should be?

In regards to Wordpress though, it's definitely a good way forward and it's really easy to use.

What are you having problems with? Have you managed to get Wordpress installed onto your web space? If not, there could well be a one click install button that you need to press on your Cpanel? If not, download the zip file from the main Wordpress site and upload that to your webhosting in your public file.

If you let me know what Wordpress difficulties you're having, I can help get them sorted for you.

Cheers,
Tony

website help

Hi Tony

That was really quick

I have installed the wordpress theme on my other (not used ) site at 6 mile smile // photography

I can get to the admin side of wordpress and the theme but as an example I have created two pages for testing called portfoilo one and portfolio two and made two a sub page of one but the menu only shows portfoilo one. I would have expected that when you click on one it would show two below it.

Thsi is about as far as I have got with it

regards
John

Hi John,

What you need to do about that, is going into your sidebar and go to Appearances > Menus > then create a menu, and physically make the 2nd portfolio page appear as a sub-page to the main page?

Then, you just have to set your menu in your theme settings?

Also, for me, that Wordpress theme works better than what you have currently. It's sleek, although, all the eyes are a tad creepy haha. Didn't you get a PDF of how the theme works when you download it?

Cheers
Tony

Last edited:
I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think that wordpress theme is at all right for a photographer. Have you looked around at your peers and how their websites look?

I did get a pdf but it just gives general information and doesn't mention menus at all. I will try what you have suggested

The reason I was thinking of using wordpress is that quite a few photographers on forums I belong to have already changed or are changing to wordpress and the sites that I have looked at do look and work well. I have also been informed that wordpress is also very good for being found in Google.

Thanks again

The reason I was thinking of using wordpress is that quite a few photographers on forums I belong to have already changed or are changing to wordpress and the sites that I have looked at do look and work well.

No quibbles with the platform you have chosen. Wordpress should be ideal for your needs if you can get it to look good. I'm just not convinced by that particular theme. And don't forget that is just my opinion. God knows I am usually wrong!

I have also been informed that wordpress is also very good for being found in Google.

Not sure who told you that. Platform should make no difference at all to how you are found on Google.

I do appreciate your reply and I expect I wil receive different advice from different people. That just helps me decide on the way forward

Thanks

I'm going to have to disagree. I don't think that wordpress theme is at all right for a photographer. Have you looked around at your peers and how their websites look?

What do you know about web design? ;) haha.

Nah, I just said it looks better than the site that's already there, I think there's a lot better options out there for a Photographer, but, it does look better than what's already up.

Tony

I did what you said but I can't find menus in the theme

John

Hi John,
If you like, you can send me the PDF for the theme over to my email address? ([email protected]) and I'll take a quick look. Or, I'm quite happy to login to your admin panel and take a look for you?

Alternatively, some theme developers have their own support forum that you can get onto and have a look about there?

Cheers
Tony

Hi Tony

I have now bought a new wordpress template and have installed the sample site ok. I am now teaching myself on the job so may well be messaging you soon for help and advice if ok with you:icon_smile:

Thanks

John

Back