Plantsbrook ICT comp

tim

For the hell of it, because I knew I'd probably win (being as the competition is 11-14 year olds with crayons), I entered my ICT department's "design a website" challenge/comp.

I just messed around with a few gradients (school colour is red and black, blah blah, [site here] ), and chucked the proposal in.

Any thoughts on how to make it better?

I know the maincontent is boring and completely useless, was intended to be, just to give the main idea of alignment and padding. Also know the drop down nav is useless, but once more, was just a 3 second job so I could win an iPod! lol

Attachments

• template.jpg
    template.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 41
There maybe a 12 yr old Photoshop whizz who enters and beats you! So don't rush and do a 3 second design, do it properly to make sure you win, there are a lot of improvements to be had but I think if you have more time to do it you'll rectify most of them anyway

Ok mate. Lets be honest. The main content area does not represent alignment and padding ;)

You also have hyphenation. Tim. Hyphenation. Spacing is all over the joint, the text is MAHOOOSIVE, the bottom corners have been squashed (as well as the weird lady) and black? on red?

You can do MUCH better.

jHouse said:
Ok mate. Lets be honest. The main content area does not represent alignment and padding ;)

You also have hyphenation. Tim. Hyphenation. Spacing is all over the joint, the text is MAHOOOSIVE, the bottom corners have been squashed (as well as the weird lady) and black? on red?

You can do MUCH better.

I agree with jHouse and this is what I wanted to say in my original post, but deep down Tim probably knows this, hence why i said it could be rectified if he spent some time on it.

For the hell of it, because I knew I'd probably win (being as the competition is 11-14 year olds with crayons), I entered my ICT department's "design a website" challenge/comp.

I think you'll be lucky to win with this I'm afraid.

The type needs some major attention. The site looks tiny and the text is far too big. Alignment looks totally unconsidered and the round corners and gradients are not a way to go IMO.

You just need to spend a little more time on it - don't underestimate your competition.

Tim, just to echo what the other guys have already said, whilst this may be a competition you're not that fussed about (impression I got from 1st post) this could be a great opportunity to show your web design skills and develop further, and just remember the competition prize could end up being a lot better... you could end up with a great web design in your portfolio, the school might use it (?) for their website & you get to prove the teachers wrong :)

Did you design this wearing Boxing Gloves Tim? It has as much finesse as Jade Goody's personality. If your hearts not truly the project from the start, don't bother. I prefer the original site BTW.
Always ask yourself....."Would I get a job on the strength of the last piece of work I submitted"
BB Book of Life. ( ...log it Greg)

Anyway... havn't you just had a birthday? Does that not make you 16????

The original site isn't mine, that's my school's one. I was referring that site to the colours of the background, Berry, but I do see how incredibly boring it is. :)

I think you'll be lucky to win with this I'm afraid.
I don't, without sounding arrogant, as I'm against people with a piece of paper and a box of crayons, serious. And to answer another question, I am 16 (just had my birthday :) [and another question answered!]), against 11-14 year olds as my year and the year below weren't asked to do it, but my form tutor, an ICT teacher, told me to give him one because he wants a good looking site. [bet i'm about to get told it's not good looking!]

Wow, too many questions to answer, but I do agree that the main content looks shite. I mainly just meant padding, and I know the text doesnt really represent alignment. It's not an actual project too, it's just a general design proposal. It was mainly just about the background and feel of the site, instead of concentrating on the main content... we haven't been given any anyway. We also weren't given a title, so I just chucked that one in.

That weird lady is my headteacher, there just to show usage of the area, as most of the school websites include teachers comments, tips, whatever.

If I didn't answer all the questions, sorry!

And your latest BB Book of Life quote is awesome, I'll try remember that :)

Tim, like its been mentioned before by Berry. You should taken every design opportunity seriously, doesn't matter if its not a real project, or if its just for a competition, the possibilities of it getting you more work are there, so its worth doing it properly.

If you did a good design, spent time thinking about it you could show you can do better and then they might actually ask you to do work for the school sites etc. You never know these things.
Also just because they're using paper and crayons doesn't mean it'll be crap, i always sketch site ideas on paper first to get rough ideas down, someone might sketch a beautiful design and then the teacher might get it made, you never know these things.

Even though you have to work with colour choices you don't like, there is still endless designs to be had from them. Spend a little more time refining it and then you can sit back and enjoy the new ipod as well as having an extra portfolio piece.

Like Berry said, your only as good as your last design.

Wow, you know quite a few Berry phrases too, I thought it was just me! lol

And yeah, I see how I should do it again, and maybe I will get beaten, but I don't really have much time, I've got too much bloody work to do with coursework, revision, etc, exams start now.

I know I'll never get any job with Plantsbrook, ever. They actually have a design company that they employed to do all their designs, and I doubt I'd ever have enough skills in development to get it even if they didn't employ someone.

I'm afraid I wouldn't call that a Berry phrase, its been said by lots of people many moons ago! (Sorry Berry :p )

Well done Tim! - that'll look good on your CV! an early bloomer!

Was the thumbnail on here your final submission? or did you add/change?

Congrats Tim! :) you got the iPod then?!
Fox beat me to it, did the design change much from when we last saw it?

Yep, quite a bit, but is all on the school system.

I changed the menu, the background shades, the layout (where posts would be placed), and tried to make it look easily convertible to a WP theme.

Have to do all of it though as the guy who's posting it using frames, tables, and code from 1940s.

I opted for the money instead of the iPod, because I already have three :p

I know it's not my greatest job and I know a lot of people don't appreciate my "skills", but I've yet to learn a lot yet, I'm ruddy 16!

I've been spending all my spare time revising or trying to produce things on photoshop, i'll be sure to post for opinions in the near future. :)

Back