Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pinterest Promotion!!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by linahoughton, May 10, 2015.

1. linahoughton

linahoughton New Member

Hello there I am studying Graphic Design and currently we have a unit to try and promote our work using social networking sites :) If anyone has Pinterest or are interested in it its a great free blogging platform where you can upload all you content to share with other people :)

If you would like to check my profile out please do it would be really appreciated! and I'll follow you back :)

:https://uk.pinterest.com/linahoughton/

:icon_smile:

2. hankscorpio

hankscorpio Moderator Staff Member

I don't really get pinterest... but whatever.

3. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

She couldn't have explained it any better.

4. hankscorpio

So it does the same thing as Facebook/Twitter/Instagram/etc.??

5. ARRIVALS

Not so much Facebook and Twitter, but similar to Instagram as a photo sharing app. Good way of creating mood boards, collating images to share with people. As the original poster said, a nice, free, way of uploading a shed load of work images to share with people.

6. hankscorpio

So more of a Behance kinda thing?

7. robinsestates

robinsestates New Member

Whenever I visit Pintrest I struggle to see past the interior design and clothing themes.

I don't see the benefit to most businesses. I would love a list of business sectors who have actually benefited financially from the site.

8. ARRIVALS

Anybody wanting to show any sort of portfolio - design / cakes / photography / dresses etc benefit from Pinterest. The most common use of Pinterest is for the general public who use it to put inspiration / mood boards together (hence why you can't see past interior design and colour themes). Someone planning a wedding might put a whole board of wedding ideas together and plan their own wedding - on the other hand, a wedding planner might put a similar board together and make it public to people searching for wedding ideas.

Behance goes further towards a professional online portfolio with work description - contact details, outside links.

A lot of people consider all social media the same. It isn't. All platforms have developed their own unique difference one way or another. I read something online that summed it up very well. I can't find it now but it was a long the lines of this.

Facebook - Connecting and sharing with people.
    Twitter - Conversing with people.
    Linked In - Professional networking.
    Behance - Sharing photos - professionally.
    Instagram - Sharing photos - personally.
    Pinterest - Sharing inspiration.
    Youtube - Sharing video.

You can obviously mix some of the descriptions up, but you get the jist.

9. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Would this also apply to Flickr? If so, which one would a professional photographer be more inclined to use?

10. hankscorpio

I'd have thought that they'd use Behance, FlickR and Instagram... no?

11. ARRIVALS

I suppose there are similarities between Behance, Flickr and Instagram however Behance is a portfolio tool. I personally use Behance to search for all sorts of design related inspiration, UI samples for example, that have descriptions, older versions of the design, work in progress, feedback from other people etc... . That said, there is a photography section so you'd have to assume photographers use it.

Instagram and Flickr are pretty much the same thing, somewhere to share photos socially. I'm sure there are some who use both of those for their professional photos but to me, they they are less professional and more social. I doubt many professional photographers use the array of Instagram filters and on their professional photos.

12. bigdave

bigdave Moderator Staff Member

My take on pintrest is it's not so much a professional business platform but cottage industries social media. Ideal if you deal in glittery wine glasses, bunting, victorian wallpaper and cake recipes but fairly low on the list of must have social media platforms for professional services.

For example, my fiance is a freelance graphic designer and also runs a bespoke wedding stationery service. She's gets a lot of inspiration from pintrest and finds it a good way of monitoring trends within the wedding industry but as of yet hasn't found it in anyway as useful for the more traditional side of graphic design.

13. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

That's very interesting. I don't know much about them but Flickr to me looks like the more professional service for photographers, and the fact that it seems to be purely photography based, as opposed to every other creative sector, I would of thought that would be the one photographers would 'appreciate' more (for lack of a better word). Behance just looks like any other portfolio site to me that offers an online portfolio service. Flickr just seems to have more of a focus on photography. Instagram I don't even consider lol.

14. Paul Murray

Paul Murray Moderator Staff Member

Pinterest isn't ideal for every business, just like Facebook, or Twitter, or Instagram aren't. It all depends on your business and your audience. Pinterest is very much a visual platform, so if you deal with visual things that (for example graphic design, or quirky products) then your content may do well on their.

What I love about Pinterest is that the content is very much organic, i.e. it's added by individuals who often add/share it with a gut reaction of "I like that" rather than the boards being curated or too-thought out. I find inspiration for website designs from book covers I've seen, or fashion catalogues, so it's a great way to find new things outside of the fields you would normally be looking in.

I actually use it all the time to find things like men's clothing styles I like, and the fact that many of the images link to a site where I can buy the clothing item or something similar is a big bonus, for myself and the store owners. On that notes it's ideal for a fashion blog or an online fashion retailer to share visual content that links back to their site.

Pinterest is also the number one source of links to my blog (about 40-45% of all my inbound links are from there) and brings me in a hell of a lot of traffic each day to older posts. Some of these posts are via links I've added myself, but many are from other visitors to my site who've added the link to their own boards. I've no idea what SEO value the links bring, nor do I care as it brings real visitors and real traffic.