Picking a name for your "brand"

Status
Not open for further replies.

philjohns

Ok, the time has come for me to rebrand myself - along with a name too!

At the moment I go by the company name of Phil Johns Imaging - however I want a new name with preferably no direct reference to my actual name (phil johns) dont mind a hint but want something small and catchy.

Sounds odd but Ive got a brand style in my head which could be put to any name but I am RUBBISH! with thinking up of names for myself

So......any ideas for me to work on for a name?

ANY thoughts welcome!

How about just "Phil" a bit like the TV channel "Dave" but well, "Phil" (maybe a bit far out of the box but sometimes its best to start like that then rein it in)

Hi Phil,

Check out this thread regarding self-branding names if you've not already seen it - http://www.designforums.co.uk/logos-identity-branding/83-self-branding-names.html

Over the past couple of years I've brainstormed soo many new 'branded' names, even got as far as buying domains and designing logos for some of them, and it's taken me until now to realize that people work with me based on my individual reputation, and knowing they can contact me directly, so therefore the best name for my business is my name! :) TBH I think it's worth considering sticking with your own name, or a name around that, unless you intend on setting up a company and taking on employees?

@tbwcf: Not sure I want it THAT far out of the box

@Onartis: Primarily for an individual however preferably expandable at a later date (not a necessity though)

@Greg: Setting up my own company is something I can see myself doing in the future but that would ne in several years time at least. I spose sticking with my name wouldnt be a bad thing, but I definitely think Phil Johns Imaging is too long. I'll check out that thread for now

Thanks guys - anything is helpful

depends on what look you have in mind really... and anyways, only you know what view you're trying to put across, whether it's arty-farty kind of name, or geeky and formal

HTH

Having read that thread that Greg linked to I am more inclined to stick with my name however dont want it to be Phil Johns Imaging - and im not too keen on Phil Johns Design either but will ahve a think and listen to what others say too.

As for the design Ive got in mind...I'de be an idiot of a designer to say this is final without having a final name to go by! I jut love it, and the colours - however like I say - nothings final as of yet! Heres what Ive got as my desktop background anyway...using the name Phil Johns Imaging (see attached)

Attachments

• my-desktop.jpg
    my-desktop.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 61
Well I don't like my own name so that's the main reason I was searching for an entirely new name, if my name sounded a little cooler, Onartis probably wouldn't have existed right now. I like your name, it beats mine by a longshot. So I wouldn't mind seeing philjohns.com ;)

It's a pain in the ass to come up with a company/community name that hasn't already been registered (several times), even if you came up with it by yourself.

That's a bummer... maybe try a short but catchy sentence (allthough some people are against this concept) like iamphil.com

I know it's a stupid example but if you put some thought in it you could come up with something original ;)

stick a few words together... see what that does.

i like timmp.co.uk, which is tim-m-p

TIMothy
Mark
Pennington

A brand name is very important but it's not the name that makes a brand, but what it stands for.
In simple terms pick anything, it doesn't really matter. What matters is how you tell people what you are, what you stand for and how you will fulfill the requirements. A brand is a consistant promise of Intention.
Beware that a name is for life - think where you and your brand will be in 3/5 years time. Be careful you don't end up with a name that has no extendability or makes you look small. Use 'familiar' names that are already registered in the consumer mindset. Stay aware from John Smith Design, J.S.D etc or Designs4U type directions. Imaging you have 10 people working for you in 5 years time. What would the reception area look like and what brand name imagery would the receptionists desk be infont off? Or what would you like to see, when you park the Audi Q7 outside and walk in? Get the drift? Put yourself in the mind of the potential client and try and persuade him your brand name and imagery makes you a serious choice for his big business. Play at dreaming at bit, it's fun!

tim-ater said:
stick a few words together... see what that does.

i like timmp.co.uk, which is tim-m-p

TIMothy
Mark
Pennington
So where does the tim-ater come in?

tim-ater is from Cars, the film. my favourite ever film excluding I am Legend. XD

the pick-up car thing was called tom-ater, like tomato, so i redid it :D

I never saw that movie... and I think we even have it on DVD :p
And personally I thought I Am Legend was okay, good storyline (I read the book ^.^) but the movie wasn't that great and not much in compliance with the original story. I prefer 30 Days of Night (just to stick in the same theme)

did you see I Am Legend at the cinema? Surround sound and the size of the projection was immense, by far the best film I've ever seen.

I didn't even know there was a book but what I do know, is that Will Smith is possible the best actor I've ever seen. He even beats Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan.

Yes, very talented actor! Pretty sure he could put up with any character the producers decide to give him

yeah :D

they should create like a super-actors movie or something. Batman with a twist. But not crammed like whatever that film was called... err... Love actually? something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back