Photoshop Logo's

Hi guys,

Im back to pick your brains!

I know Illy is best for creating Logo's but if I want to create a logo in photoshop what aould be your warnings and advice. Especially for a logo that will be used for Web? If I create one in photoshop does that mean I can't use it for large print as in vehicle graphics etc? I know I seem really stupid to you pros but we all gotta start somewhere!!

Thanks in Advance!

Eva

Hey Paul!

Thanks for the link. Will give that a good read tomorrow. I understand the difference between them But what Im not sure about is whether I can create the same image in Illy as I could in Photoshop? Say for example a glossy 3d looking button...I know how to do that in PS but not in Illy is it still possible to get the same results whilst it still being vector?

On a lighter note/ rhetorical question...why oh why is Illys tools and pallets and functions laid out the same as photoshop...it would make life sooo much easier if they unified them all a bit more! lol

Eva

Hi,

YES is the answer you're looking for. Every glossy effect, ripple or gradient you can produce in photoshop, can be done in illustrator. It takes a bit longer and uses very different methods to produce the same effects but theres pretty much nothing illustrator cant do if you put your mind to it. I actually get quite cross when working in photoshop because I find it not as versatile as Illustrator.

Try googling "Illustrator glossy button" or "Illustrator tutorials". It will pull up thousands of tutorials.

Asking why Illustrator and Photoshop don't have the same tools pallet is a bit like asking why Dreamweaver and InDesign don't have the same tools. It's because they're 2 completely different applications with different uses. The clue is in the name really Illustrator is for Illustration, Photoshop is for photo editing. You can however edit the tool bars and layouts of every Abobe app to suit your needs, look in WINDOW>WORKSPACE from within one of the apps for various preset layouts.

Hey Paul!

Thanks for the link. Will give that a good read tomorrow. I understand the difference between them But what Im not sure about is whether I can create the same image in Illy as I could in Photoshop? Say for example a glossy 3d looking button...I know how to do that in PS but not in Illy is it still possible to get the same results whilst it still being vector?

On a lighter note/ rhetorical question...why oh why is Illys tools and pallets and functions laid out the same as photoshop...it would make life sooo much easier if they unified them all a bit more! lol

Eva

This blog post I saw a while ago might help in showing you just how good illustrator can be in the right hands:

The World's Most Photorealistic Vector Art - Basang Panaginip

Illustrator is tricky at times, but it saves you so much time in the long run that it's worth getting to know it.

I wonder if anyone still uses freehand? I always prefered the way gradients worked in Freehand MX.

Hey Squeva, I know how tempting and easy it is to stick to a software you know well but you really, really have to learn Illy, especially if you want to move ahead in this field.

There are definitely some things you can do in Photoshop that are impossible / complicated in Illy but for the most part you can achieve very good results in Illy when you learn a few techniques. In particular learn about Opacity marks if you want to try glossy effects.

In the meantime have a look at this little tutorial, it might give you a bit of insight and inspiration
Illustrator Tutorial: Glossy Button

Back