Member Offer
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Photo hosting sites - alternatives to Flickr, Facebook etc?

Discussion in 'Chill Out Forum:' started by leepaulvickersdesign, Jun 8, 2011.

1. With the recent news that Facebook has introduced a new facial recognition 'feature' under the radar, and generously opted-in all it's users, I have decided that I don't want Zuckerberg to host the pics of me and mine that I want to share with friends. Combined with Apple's plans to can the much loved and universally brilliant MobileMe/iDisk and roll out the as yet unknown quantity that is iCloud, I want to safeguard my future and make a switch now, before it's too late.

I use a free Flickr account for random snaps, and JPG for arty snaps. They work fine, just not brilliant.

What cool image service is everyone else using?

2. aibrean

aibrean Member

The best is Picasa.
    Upload Pie - The Simple Image Sharing Tool

For quick burnout.

3. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

you could make your own, as you have a website check and see if your provider has softaculous as you could install one of their options - linky

You can likely find the galleries elsewhere but softaculous will install it all for you :)

4. Kevin

Kevin Senior Member

5. aibrean

aibrean Member

Photobucket is probably one of the worst regarding privacy.

6. Levi

Levi Moderator Staff Member

those sorts of t&c's are why I suggested my option :)

Also just thought,
    My synology nas has a 'photo station' built in too - if you have a nas might be worth a look.

MS skydrive (part of hotmail/live) can also upload images and share to people although not sure on the t&c's. Also works with windows live photogallery so it's an easy upload.

Google has Picassa web galleries and apple must have something in 'icloud'

7. Josella Caci

Josella Caci Member

i use photobucket for hosting and coding/design/link needs and Flickr for social photography/images.
    Never tried Picasa, might have check them out!