Phew, how much?

Graeme

Hello All,

Say you designed soemething for print and the printer was more than happy to print it from your design, what extra do you add on for your part? I know this is a difficult question and please bear in mind I am only a novice but without blowing my own trumpet! The output is good. I was advised to charge for managing the printing but that sounds very grand from my part!

Best wishes
Graeme

Hello,

Thank you for your reply. So would a printer take into account that you are doing the artwork when quoting a price?

P.S. Your web site is brill by the way!

Best wishes
Graeme

Some printers give 'trade' discount if that's what you mean. Once we know that a designer is giving us good files and is going to give a reasonable amount of work we give them a discount.

Lots of printers at the moment are not giving any trade discounts !

Sorry meant to add that it can depend on the size of the job and whether you are billing the client or the printer is. . .

A large job probably wouldn't stand a 40% mark up! You don't want to price yourself out of any future work!

Agree with all Kates comments and experiences.

We build long term relationships with design houses and know that the print work is part of the complete package that they would like to offer - therefore we take a commercial view. For us size of project / number of projects is not an issue - but the practice varies widely.

Find a good, reliable, flexible printer you can work with and like - think capable / motivated / fit and build a nice relationship. We have such relationship with probably 25 + houses of various sizes ans supply white label. It works very well.

And...you meet some lovely people.

Stick 10% on for print management, no-one can argue with that and it covers you sticking it on CD, driving it to the printers, picking the job up and delivering it to the clients... if that's what you do!

'Phew, how much?

Hello All,

Thanks for alll your great and appreciated advice

I know a couple of printers who are really good. I usually e-mail them with an attachment which is good. It's good to know though that there is a management %.

Thank you all,

Best wishes
Graeme

Back