Personal project (book cover)

pwneet

I just finished school and I realize now that I have trouble selling my ideas and I have little confidence in my work. This is a project I did where I took complete creative freedom. I think it would scare a client...

I'm trying to find my place within the design community. Are there any niches I should look into that would allow me to do this type of work? Any suggestions or honest feedback, positive or negative would be appreciated.

"The idea was to create a design that would make people who might not otherwise be drawn to classic literature excited about Othello. All of Shakespeare's works are available online free of charge, so creative visual design becomes an important tool that adds value to printed texts."

cover.jpg
back.jpg

Hey pwneet. I really like that design, it looks professional to me.

You say you're just out of school, what age is that in Canada?

I'm 24, it took me a while to find out what I wanted to do with myself. I'm still not 100% sure.

That's cool, that's as I thought. In England we go to 'school' from 4-16, then option college and then onto university. Different terminology that's all. For a second there I thought you were 16!

As I say, I like it, good job :)

It's amazing, I didn't reply because I'm actually bloody jealous. :D

And BTW... a compliment off Berry is a big thing!

Wow... thanks guys!!

My peers at school were very cliquey. I found it really hard to work in that kind of environment...Almost everyone was competitive to the point where they become hateful and unfriendly. It didn't help that I was extremely shy and insecure about my work.

I can count the friends I have from university on one hand. To know other designers like my work is an amazing feeling, it makes me feel like maybe I'm making the right decision pursuing this as a career. :clap:

Definitely seem to have the talent mate. Keep working at it, if that's one of your first pieces I'd love to see what you can do once you develop.

Xenonsoft said:
Definitely seem to have the talent mate. Keep working at it, if that's one of your first pieces I'd love to see what you can do once you develop.

Thanks! I will definitely keep at it. That was some much needed support.

I work in a world wide publishers design studio doing all their marketing designs and that book cover is better than some if not most of the book covers I have to work with. I would actually enjoy doing a marketing poster/leaflet on that book cover as it would give me a lot of creative freedom.

Also just to note, when people get hateful and unfriendly it means they're usually jealous, you've designed something they wish they had done or know it s better than theres, thats why they get bitchy.

Keep up the work, your obviously on the right career path.

Hey mate, a piece of advice... bear in mind that criticism is the least scary thing that you will find in this career. This forum is full of friendly chaps, which I find amazing and particularly constructive... but be aware that out there when you are competing against other studios (or freelancers) for a project that involves large sums of moneys, thing may turn a bit harsh...

Make sure you are confident about your work, and if you aren't a 110% sure about it, be ready to be the first to laugh or joke about it.

Cheers,
M

- and yeah, the book cover looks pretty good!

Absolutely brilliant work!

It's a very inviting design and would definitely make me buy the book. I love everything about it, especially the Typography. Did you draw "Othello" part yourself or is that a font?

Great work mate! You should start believing in your work more cause you've got a lot of talent. I would have hated you as well if I had gone to uni with you! :D;)

tim-ater said:
It's amazing, I didn't reply because I'm actually bloody jealous. :D

And BTW... a compliment off Berry is a big thing!

I was just thinking that. How often does Berry compliment anything?

Kudosis said:
I work in a world wide publishers design studio doing all their marketing designs and that book cover is better than some if not most of the book covers I have to work with. I would actually enjoy doing a marketing poster/leaflet on that book cover as it would give me a lot of creative freedom.

Also just to note, when people get hateful and unfriendly it means they're usually jealous, you've designed something they wish they had done or know it s better than theres, thats why they get bitchy.

Keep up the work, your obviously on the right career path.

Mike // DFCLStudio said:
Hey mate, a piece of advice... bear in mind that criticism is the least scary thing that you will find in this career. This forum is full of friendly chaps, which I find amazing and particularly constructive... but be aware that out there when you are competing against other studios (or freelancers) for a project that involves large sums of moneys, thing may turn a bit harsh...

Make sure you are confident about your work, and if you aren't a 110% sure about it, be ready to be the first to laugh or joke about it.

Cheers,
M

- and yeah, the book cover looks pretty good!

Thanks Kudosis and Mike! That's eye opening, to think of design as competing for money explains why designers are quicker to judge & criticize than support each others work. It also explains the egos, loud mouths and hating. Thinking about design that way helps a lot. I was never a competative person, more of a co-op team player... I need to develop a thicker skin.

Aarlev said:
Absolutely brilliant work!

It's a very inviting design and would definitely make me buy the book. I love everything about it, especially the Typography. Did you draw "Othello" part yourself or is that a font?

Great work mate! You should start believing in your work more cause you've got a lot of talent. I would have hated you as well if I had gone to uni with you! :D;)

Thanks Soren! I hand lettered "Othello" using a wacom tablet. It's good to know you would have hated on me too. haha

DroppedShadow said:
Looks fantastic!
I would be very proud if I'd done that.
Good work

Thanks! Knowing people would consider buying it (including Berry, a Managing Director at an actual studio) makes me relieved, and loads more confident.

As the others have already said the book cover looks great, a really interesting take on what would normally be quite a traditional design I think. Keep posting your work and I'm sure you'll find your confidence grows from threads like this! :)

Greg
PS- Sorry for the late reply on this thread!!

Back