Personal Logo - Concept

Genius! cheers guys, I can bee slow at times! I will try and pull something together, I think Berry set me a challenge with Mr Butter!

Liking the new direction Mike, it's really going somewhere now, the butter theme kind of reminds me of the Lurpak butter man in a quirky/cool way, as everyone has said makes your name & identity memorable :)

I agree with Berry's comment on trying it above the type due to the long line length, would be good to see that layout too.

Wow! Thanks for all the responses, took my time to read them all, I do love this place!

Firstly, sorry for making everyone hungry! You try growing up with my surname haha... Glad its going in the right direction, I do prefer it, its something unique to me.

And one more thing. I don't know if you intended this or not, but if you look closely enough, there's a definite G or B in the logo. If you could resolve this a little more to be a B, that would pretty much seal the deal with this logo.

I didn't really notice that, I just liked the curl on the swirl itself, I will try with the B, but I just like the natural element of how the swirl is formed.

We need a Mr Butter!
Berry, just for you, I tried!

I will be moving the logo into flat colours only, two maximum as I really want this to be a strong mono logo, if I have time this evening, I will keep working on it, but now to pick up my halloween posters from the printers! (soooo excited!)

Finally...

thanks for this post guys, this is my first experience of a designforums work crit that has evolved and made progress right in front of my eyes. its really inspiring stuff to see all the creative ideas being bounced around and to watch the progression from mikes first idea to his latest version is just awesome.

Yes guys, thank you, there are very few places on the internet that I can go to get positive criticism. You guys are here to push us ALL in the right direction, and for that I thank everyone who has spent the time to give their tuppence worth.

wow i missed lots of posts! :( crumbs

h-freezy- i agree its a splurge of paint on a page hence why I don't like it lol!

Mike- really? you like the stuff on my flickrstream? haha ok if it helps for inspiration thats cool. I need to update it actually.

General- I'm liking the turn of your logo Mike-I was thinking about the lurpack guy but having a character made out of butter...butter is also rich and mellow and so the colours would need to match these qualities.. Or create a character illustration of yourself next to your name-jeeves type character serving a curl of butter on a silver tray-lid in other hand.
Kind of that clean silver service treatment to clients....? or is that OTT? lol :p

I was also thinking of butter sliding off a shiny butter knife-that clean cut, simple look? However, a knife might give the wrong impression ..... :down: Was also thinking of type into butter and playing around with it on photoshop/illustrator but it becomes problematic scaled down etc. Nice image but not logo... butter churns, melted butter over food, square block of butter... Those were some of my wee thoughts I jotted down... nothing great from me but I like the curl of butter and 'Buttery' in matching colour I have to agree. really nice design :up:

Charlieburt85... tut... where have you been, having a social life?!? haha!

Yes I do like your flickerstream!! Peacock tails, makeup and rollies!!

Had the same idea about the man made of butter, but for the same reasons, found it too complex...

I am having a few celebratory beers tonight (first paying client since my contract) I will post the revised logo over the next few days...

Again thanks all!

Right, beers didn't go to plan, so I played Warhammer II, what a game (not a geek, honest!!)

Anyway, got bored and pulled this together, I am pretty happy with the logo (differed the highlighted areas, as I wanted the logo to be only one colour.), but struggling on the text orientation etc, and help appreciated.

butterswirlc.jpg

A wise choice putting the logo on top of the type, but the relationship between it and the type are not right. The logo is too big. It's dominating.

Your decision to put "graphic designer" under buttery while a logical choice is wrong because it makes the logo feel off centre. Consider centring it instead and please readd a space between "graphic" and "designer". Not doing so decreases legibility.

I'd quite like to see "Buttery" in a different shade of grey, rather than orange (retracting my previous feedback of it being a good choice to be orange), just to see if you can create a better balance between the logo and the type.

There's a little pointy bit in the logo on the left. Remove it and make it one clean curve. Finally, you mention that you want the logo in one colour, so consider making the highlights white instead. There's no real need to have them in a pale yellow. I think you might be able to make the logo feel more 'open' if the highlights are in white.

Sound advice from Neil, just in addition to his comments I would look at your choice of typeface again and in addition to that the kerning/spacing of the type. Perhaps try something with more rounded edges to match the smooth nature of the logo/butter.

Cheers Anagoge & Greg! What proportion should the logo be to the text btw?

Right, another revision, taking on board the advice, I still feel the type sucks, any suggestions of replacement fonts would be lovely... sorry this is dragging out, feedback appreciatead!
butterswirlfional2way.jpg

Personally I would use the first one on the left but change the grey to black :) but thats just me :)

I also prefer the first one on the left, and the butter logo looks much better now the highlights are in white, this will look awesome in BW and white out of colour or black. Is the font you are using at the moment Vag? I can see the reasoning behind using something rounded to go with the butter theme but maybe you could use a combination of both? For example, keep mike buttery in the current font but try 'graphic designer' in something like akzidenz or myriad?
________
Ocean View Condominiums Pattaya

Personally I think the butter is too orange, butter is yellow so to enforce your brand you need to go for a yellower tone in my opinion.

I also prefer the harder edged text from before it gives more contrast between the softness of the butter and the text

Cheers everyone!

chrismitchell tried black, it just powers out the golden yellow colour...

davewill 10 points for the spotting VAG, I never used it before, its lovely...

Levi I tried to make the butter more yellow, problem is, the more yellow I go, I lose the logo and text strenght, I have pushed is as far as I can go...

This is my last revision I think, I am happy with most of it, I feel branded, and will apply this to the ongoing website revision and future media!

If anyone feels I have done something dire or wrong, please speak now, otherwise I shall thank each and everyone for your posts, feedback and help, its helped push me on something I have struggled with for a while.

butterswirlfional3.jpg

Its a tint different, just to make the 'buttery' stand out on the white, but thats on my screen, I changed them now so they are both the same colour.

maybe its just a personal thing, but id prefer the yellows to be the same. the colour used for the word buttery is really nice, I would imagine it would look cool used on the butter too
________
Great_pussy_wet cam

You don't have to have your logo on a white background do you, the one I'm going to change to when I finish my updated branding is on a grey background as I wanted to use white and red as my logo colours. All my corporate branding will just be worked around the fact I've got a grey background to my logo.

Back