Permitting my copyrighted graphics to be used for a term of years

stephen100

Hello from a newbie to this forum, but I have been a pro photog for about 30 years and a graphics designer for about the last five years. Nothing high-pricey so far -- just a few logos for friends. But now, I have done an extensive series of images based on my original concept relevant to the adult beverage (alcohol-based) industry.

That concept, along with slogans, brand name, logo, and the illustrations will be offered by me on speculation to both the 5,000 pound gorillas in adult-beverage products, and the up-and-coming challengers who are aggressive for a share of the market. Yes, I AM aware of the risk that intellectual property can be "adapted" just enough to prevent legal action by me.

So, here is what I need input about: Have any of YOU members ever assigned your unique copyrighted product art to be used by a business, with the contractual understanding that permission-to-use expired [or will expire] after a specified term?

If yes, what was the length of that term? I understand, depending on what the business used your art for, that a term could last anywhere from a few months to a decade or more. But I am hoping for enough input here at the forum (thus finding an average of years) to base my own discussion on with the manufacturers interested in reaching an agreement about purchase.

Other web resources which also have information relevant to my query will be appreciated by me as either links or just net names. Thank you in advance, as the old cliché goes. It is now around noon Eastern US time, on Sunday. I will check back at around 9 PM.

Back