Perception of Graphic designer

Mike Outro

Hi all

I'm creating a Zine for a college brief for my Visual Communication HND and I'm also a freelance graphic designer in my spare time. I'm interested in getting some views from fellow graphic designers, mainly those currently out in the field but answers from students are just as welcome. My two questions are:

1) What was your perception or view of the life of a graphic designer before you got involved in the industry? I guess I'm asking what did you imagine it would be like doing graphic design as a career.

2) What is your perception or view now? If it actually different from what you envisaged.

Thanks for reading.

Kind regards

Mike

2)... why does it cost that much? My mate's cousin has a son who has a dog that can do that because he has a copy of photoshop.

GraphicDesigner.jpg

1) What was your perception or view of the life of a graphic designer before you got involved in the industry? I guess I'm asking what did you imagine it would be like doing graphic design as a career.

Back in the 80's when I went to college the stereotype Graphic Designer was a kind of upwardly mobile, go getter.
Typically male, pretentious, red rimmed glasses, thin tie.
A bit Miami Vice really.
I imagined it would involve meetings over a Pantone book and making slick marker visuals and shit.

2) What is your perception or view now? If it actually different from what you envisaged.

My first job was at a printers.
I worked in a kind of shed inside an industrial unit at a drawing board with a bin with a plank on top for a seat.

These days it's working on a laptop on my bed, design software I could have only dreamed of back then.
It's VERY different from what I envisaged both then and now.

Back