Pepsi Re-Brand

M

mrleesimpson

Creattica Daily are reporting today that Pepsi are apparently planning a re-design of their branding (including packaging design) for Pepsi Cola as well as a few of their other soft drinks.

I for one quite like it. It's not as good as it could have been however it's not what you would expect from a soft drink company with such a long history. I really think (for once) it helps them seperate their brand from Coke.

Whats everyone elses thoughts?

Thanks for posting this Lee, missed this story, personally I'm not too sure on the new designs. I don't see the reasoning behind the logo variations for the different types within the pepsi range, although I haven't read anything about it yet so perhaps that becomes obvious? Going to have a little read up on it and come back to this :)

I really think it will help Pepsi stand right out from eveything else on the shelve.

I've always liked Pepsi better anyway.

Does anyone else think the actual bottles themselves look really dated? Or look like a cheaper alternative product? I keep looking at them and seeing like a cheap cola drink like a Rola Cola at home in those bottles? I was thinking the more I look at them, they may grow on me, but have to say I'm disliking them the more I look at them!

Still searching around to try and find some more information, just seems to be those images posted on various design blogs just now, with no additional info.

Greg said:
Does anyone else think the actual bottles themselves look really dated? Or look like a cheaper alternative product? I keep looking at them and seeing like a cheap cola drink like a Rola Cola at home in those bottles?

That might just be the 3D renders. I'm sure the real thing will look much nicer.

hmm, are they for real? the logo on the light and the normal are different - i assume it might be an emphasis on the light element, but even so, looks like a dodgy photoshop jobby

Mike said:
hmm, are they for real? the logo on the light and the normal are different - i assume it might be an emphasis on the light element, but even so, looks like a dodgy photoshop jobby

Think you must have missed the little quote I found there Mike...

Pepsi is redesigning its globe logo. According to Ad Age “A ’smile’ will characterise brand Pepsi, while a ‘grin’ is used for Diet Pepsi and a ‘laugh’ is used for Pepsi Max.” Yikes.

The logo is supposed to be a 'smile', a 'grin' and a 'laugh' for the 3 types of Pepsi according to Ad Age, I think the only one's smiling, grinning and laughing will be Coca-Cola personally!

Greg said:
The logo is supposed to be a 'smile', a 'grin' and a 'laugh' for the 3 types of Pepsi according to Ad Age, I think the only one's smiling, grinning and laughing will be Coca-Cola personally!

Yer I think people will miss that. Thats a little bit out-there even by advertising standards.

Yeah It's pretty obscure, and I agree most people will miss that, I certainly failed to see it after trying to figure it out a few times. I've seen a couple of people in responses to blog posts on the subject mention that it reminded them of the Old Spice fragrance logo! with the wave styling!!

I think Pepsi have made a mistake in going down this route, it looks like they've tried to follow Coca-Cola's lead in simplifying their packaging. Coca-Cola have done it very well with a retro styling of their original branding, Pepsi have failed to do that and I think this new packaging and branding will be mis-interpreted and probably be changed back in a few years time!

Although having said all that, don't you think that Coca-Cola and Pepsi have their own market shares pretty settled by now? Will a re-brand here and there really make a great difference in which product people buy? I guess time will tell.

Pepsi, meanwhile, seems far less sure of itself. It’s going to spend $1.2 billion over three years to change everything about its brands – “How they look, how they’re packaged, how they will be merchandised on the shelves, and how they connect with consumers” - which will be done by the Arnell Group.

personally I think Pepsi have always, and will always be playing catch up to their better known, better looking step sister!

Nice. But I agree on the bottles. They cheapen the brand a lot I think. And yeah the logo variations are strange. I like version on the black "0" one though.

Branding has gone up it's own a**e recently, agencies are selling in esoteric and obscure ideas at the expense of basic aesthetics. These look like a supermarket own brand in terms of design, there may be a big idea behind it but it's poorly executed and was probably sold to pepsi wrapped up in a bull**t layer of zeitgeist buzzwords

Trouble is where as Coke have a history to pull from in order to do the retro thang properly - pepsi don't really have that so seem to have gone, the stripped down route.

Problem with stripped down/less is more is that you really do need to get it right otherwise it looks really wrong, this might be the case!

dont have a history, the product is over a hundred years old, infact not long after cocacola :p

just call me the pedant

I stand corrected then, maybe its the way that Pepsi have communicated to me through their brand over the years that makes me think that Pepsi has little history and background to it. That it was just dreamed up over night to pinch abit of Cokes market.
;)

Back