Pepsi Re-Brand

i think you have hit the nail there Dot!

My perception of Pepsi, is that it is very much of the "rola cola" ilk - ie an imitation

Mike said:
My perception of Pepsi, is that it is very much of the "rola cola" ilk - ie an imitation

I think any company that can afford David Beckham for an advertising campaign is a little more than a "rola cola" or an imitation. The wording 'imitation' is interesting and probably as a result of Coca-Cola's awesome branding power, oh and their advertising slogan 'the real thing'! I do however get the feeling that Pepsi is better known in the States than it is in the UK, apart from the KFC/Pizza Hut franchise in the UK.. oh and Wetherspoons chains, come to think of it they're around quite a bit now!

I agree they are not, merely that is how i see them - They have them at our cinema - but i never ask for pepsi - always coke.

rola colas great anyway! :p

hmm i remember having panda pops as a nipper
cola.jpg

Just noticed this post on the adgrabber site with the promotional video from the DVD that was sent out to launch the new packaging - Pepsi Unveils Packaging to 'Digital and Social Media Influencers' - AdGabber (it's similar to the YouTube one I linked to earlier in the thread at the start but goes in a different direction towards the end)

and here's a photo of the packs they sent out to teh 25 "digital and social media influencers"..

pepsi.jpg

Anyone more convinced yet? I'm certainly not!
Greg

To me, they replaced something that is classic with a design that is, although beautiful, a little bit redundant. Definitely not new.

I have to say I do like the variations of the logo and can see what they mean. Normal Pepsi is medium, Pepsi Diet is thinner to represent dieting etc and Pepsi Max is just large to represent itself and the opposite of dieting.

I dont howver like the packaging of the pepsi bottles. Mountain Dew's design is nice but the pepsi bottles just look like they are a supermarkets own brand of drink to me

I really think pepsi are shooting themselves in the foot with this ...... the pepsi logo is iconic around the world... its a powerful brand that is well known and loved .... why on earth would they want to change that???? the term 'if it aint broke dont fix it" springs to mind ... although saying that the logo has not really changed significantly enough to become unreconisable as pepsi but yes I do think they are coming seriously close to looking like a cheap imitation of itself .... undecided really

To really put a spanner in the works, i actually like the new design. Im not sure if i agree with the mantra 'if it aint broke dont fix it', sometimes a brand needs to refresh its image. With Mountain Dew i am beginning to get sick of everywhere i turn this whole "drop the vowels and any other letters"

Forget this style though, advertise like this;

pepsi.jpg

I personally think it could have looked really cool if Pepsi had gone really retro, by introducing some elements from the very early advertising like the old script like logo but in a modern presentation. In any case it will be interesting to see how the new branding goes down, and ultimately if it has a positive/negative effect on their sales... only time will tell.

For some reason, perhaps the simplicity of the new designs remind me of the old designs from around the late 80's early 90's?

Thanks for sharing that link lord_t, I think the thoughts of that post echo the thoughts of the majority of peoples comments I've read across various blogs and this thread on Design Forums. I wonder when it's actually going to be rolled out?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that these ideas were pitched about 1-2 years ago and its taken that long to go through the various stages of management/pr etc to finally consider it, they look pretty cutting edge a couple of years ago. shortening mountain to mtn is a blatant example of this.

In light of the coca cola rebrand, which is brilliant, it's poor.

It looks a bit feeble and weak. It's charmless and lacks any attitude or confidence. The idea is lost.

As for the white space in the ball, does it mean diet coke is less pepsi and max is more pepsi? Does pepsi max have more sugar in it than normal coke? Is it sweeter? And who would notice it unless it's in a nice publicity picture where all 3 bottles are shot together?

Did Anyone bother to look at this pack on shelf? Turn it 10% and the branding dissappears. A disaster.

Im still loving this logo. Will it be a success? I don't know. But I think the new pepsi-cans looks way cooler than the new coke-cans. I think the pepsi ones look kinda of retro, yet still modern. Plus Im loving the font.

The simplicity is a little much in the new logos - but I still like them. The label and logo of the brands are there in a neat fashion, and fit together with the easy-going look.

...but if I was choosing a nice, cold drink between a coke or a pepsi, the coke would probably win my lips. The bottle just doesn't scream "grab me!" anymore.

However, I do like the new shape of the bottles; they add a nice touch (if those are even going to be implemented)!

Back