PDF to HTML

davewill

Hi guys, need a quick bit of advice. Ive designed a wedding invite in illustrator, saved as a PDF. Now my boss wants it emailed as a HTML file. Is there a quick way to convert the PDF to HTML? My programming knowledge sucks by the way!
A quick answer would be really appreciated!

in acrobat (assuming you have it) save as, more options, html webpage...
not sure it helps but I very much doubt it will look like it would as a pdf. Can't your boss just see the pdf, even online storage like drive can view pdf's natively now, as can latest firefox and chrome...

Yeh I think itll be fine to send out as a PDF, he is concerned some of the guests wont see the file attached so wont open it. He wants people to receive the email invite and it already be open on their screen immediately.
Ive tried saving as in acrobat, it gives me a html text file and a separate (horrible looking) background file as a gif. I dont know what to do with them though now they have been created. Its not as simple as attaching those files to an email is it!
Is there some kind of technique I can use to ensure the PDF opens automatically on recepit of the email?

no idea, I just send a pdf, if people don't have a way to view a pdf in this day and age they have no hope lol.
Win 8 has native viewer, os-x has a native viewer, acrobat is readily available (could add a link if overly concerned), firefox and chrome both have built in pdf viewers, most online email has a pdf viewer too...

Haha, I agree! Because we use Mac's in the studio, they display a one page pdf open on the screen as a default. However, when emailing someone on a PC their default view often shows a PDF as a small icon. This is something my boss has a real issue with! He thought saving the design into HTML format was as easy as saving as a JPEG or a Tiff, it turns out thats not the case and he cant understand why!

well you could just send them a jpeg if your boss is that worried lol....
Forgot Office outlook does actually have a pdf preview as does explorer (well mine does... not sure if I needed the reg patch to fix the issue that the useless adobe staff couldn't seem to manage...) if you use the preview pane or large thumbs...

You could open the PDF in PS and then slice it up and create it in HTML with the images and tables, although it won't be best practice it might be practical for what he wants. Still better yet, if the design isn't too extravagant you could create a real HTML email for him although that may be excessive for a little wedding invite!

Hi Adam, that sound like a good plan but once Ive sliced it I wouldnt know what to do next. I really am a novice at anything web related!

UPDATE: Ive used MailChimp and that seems to have done the trick for what I was trying to achieve. Fingers crossed!

There is a quick 'dirty' way of doing it. Save as Jpeg open in dreamweaver and then map the areas you want to be able to click. no programming required. :)

Yeah it doesnt need to be clickable, its literally 1 image. Ive used mailchimp now, choosing one of their basic templates to create a one image email. Hopefully this will work ok. Thanks for the help though! I really need to improve my web knowledge.

Back