PC Monitor Advice

ive always ignored them coz i (maybe naively) didnt think they were powerful enough. plus i dont think they can be upgraded like a normal mac or pc can.

looks like maybe i was wrong to ignore them tho from typo's high praise
________
Peak Towers Condo

I would get a Mini but only to attach it to my TV in my living room :D :lol:

that is what i want in our spare room for my wife to do her studying on :D it is all so expensive :lol:

So I have a MBP which is 2 and a half years old it's getting a bit old and battered and a little slow. So, I was thinking of getting a new iMac but now i'm thinking a Mac mini might be a good choice hmmm

davewill said:
ps sorry to everyone for my bad spelling of advice in the title of this thread, i tried to go back and change it but i dont think i can! my bad.

Thanks to the mod who changed the speeling in the title of the thread, man it was doing my head in :lol:

allyally2k said:
So I have a MBP which is 2 and a half years old it's getting a bit old and battered and a little slow. So, I was thinking of getting a new iMac but now i'm thinking a Mac mini might be a good choice hmmm

Ebay is your friend....wait still the rich students are starting uni and go for it.

Mac Minis are good, and pretty nippy too for their size!
Only reason I didn't get one is that I didn't have a decent screen or extras to go with.

I have some experience have owned 6 monitors and having worked on that many again in jobs. I have tried the good the bad and the ugly and I can tell you now if you we want a good design monitor at a good price then get a Dell UltraSharp IPS (in-plane switching) or the older PVA (Patterned vertical alignment). Try and stay away from TN (Twisted nematic) monitors this is the most common technology and is used in 90% of budget monitors but the colours tend to be uneven over the panel.

Which model (PVA and IPS)

Buying second hand
Like I say Dell are good budget monitors, if you are buying second hand you can get a PVA monitor like 2408WFP or 2407WFP or the smaller Dell 2007WFP. All great monitors but note they are older and might not have an many years of life left in them, they also use more electricity then the newer IPS panels.

Buying new
Now if you are looking o buy a new monitor you are looking at IPS technology again Dell (no I don’t work for them) are good value. Have a look at the 21.5-inch U2211H and 23-inch U2311H both output at 1080p. While I have not worked on ether the U2211H or the U2311H there are guys working on them in the office and they are very happy with them. You should be able to get a better price then shown on the dell website which is U2211H $279 and the U2311H costing $299 or (U2211H £292.58 and U2311H £351.33 UK prices).

This link is quite good it shows all the dell monitors and tells you what technology is used to build them.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/search.php?query=Dell&select=model

ah man, coz I was surfing computer sites looking for a monitor it dawned on me that if I was gona spend ?170 on a monitor,i could actually get myself a laptop/notebook for a few more pennies! now i dont know what to do!
Anyone know of any good value laptops just for general surfing, emailing etc (I wouldnt use it for photoshop etc)
________
Avandia Class Action Settlement

davewill said:
So guys, ive just had my birthday so I have some spare cash to treat myself and was thinking about getting myself a bigger monitor, thanks for all your advice so far.

Ive narrowed it down to these 2 options. Anyone got any opinions on which one to go for?

Dell ST2410 24" Full HD Widescreen LCD monitor Black

or

Samsung B2430H 24 inch Widescreen LCD Full HD Monitor: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Dave, I would not get the ST2410 24 I have used that monitor it is based on TN technology and the colours are NOT consistent across the panel. It gives the appearance that you are seeing a gradient when you are looking at solid colour.

Other then the colour issue its quite a solid monitor but as all cheaper monitors it does not have a very good range of movement, you can tilt the head an inch and that is all. If you are serious about your design I would stay away from the TN pannels.

I just found these vaunted Monitors 720, 724, 730 simply rebranded Samsung L-series monitors. No changes to the device color calibration. Do not spend extra branding LaCie.

Back