PC HD Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
50% of desktops in the US are macs.

yep.

that's too little.

that argument is OLD

5/6 years ago that's accurate, maybe even 3/4 years ago, but now apple are too strong.

if someone had a way of going about, smashing apple, someone would.

tim said:
50% of desktops in the US are macs.

yep.

that's too little.

t

That's not true at all.

Oh and to explain - 50% of revenue for PCs is macs... but as macs average cost is 3x that of PCs... their OS share is only 10%...

Maybe apple has 50% market share in desktops above $1000. I think Apple only has something like 10% of the market overall though, but I can't find anything to back this up. Apples biggest area (excluding the iPhone) is actually laptops. Turns out if you want a nice laptop then apple is quite competitive in price and, of course, design.

Edit -

This is the most recent I could find - http://www.macrumors.com/2009/04/16/apples-us-market-share-slips-in-1q-2009/

Apple is very US centric, they have a very high market share there (over 75% of $1000+ machines) but its considerably lower elsewhere. Average for the world is something like 6% last time I read about it.

Microsoft has more marketshare in less affluent markets and in most industries other than graphics.

too many figures too many figures

and apologies if you disagree, i'm just requoting what we get told ;)

lol, don't quote figures and then say there are too many... :)

50% of the revenue market share is huge!! and 10% of the OS market is huge too! however, why would someone with the ability to create virus' concentrate on a 10% share, with a more difficult to corrupt OS, when there is a larger and easier to corrupt OS in microsoft.

So in my opinion, and I'm sure the opinion of a lot of others, the argument still stands that Apple is not generally the target. Hence the lack of (or very few) virus' that are about.

I do look forward to the day when someone creates a virus for it and the whole mac world goes into panic ^_^ (and while you may say it won't happen, everything is possible)

lol, don't quote figures and then say there are too many...

there were 3 posts each with different percentages.

that's too many ;)

and yes it is huge, but not massive, correct. so it'd be incredible for one person to be able to destroy that huge percentage, forever.

pcs are hackable, so are macs, but pcs are old news. it's been done a million times. if someone could, they would.

show me physically a mac virus.

dont show me a rumour website, show me physically, and i'll believe you.

and i know that it will be an eventuality, but i dont think that you know much about apple's security firms as much as you think.

for example when a man hacked his way through the iphone with 10 texts or whatever it was, apple HIRED him.

five days later, it was fixed!

There was a guy who took control of safari in 10 seconds using an exploit or something. But of course he worked with apple to fix it. Virus makers wont go for mac until they can justify it with numbers, the mac market share is just to small for it to be worth it atm.

well either way,

i'm virus free.

and probably will be for a hella long time (i'm african american today)

either way, mac wins once more.

ojnw9v.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back