PC HD Boot Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greg said:
Tried replacing the CMOS battery with a spare I found in the house, and receive the error "CMOS checksum error" so assuming that the battery I found is dead! Would it not be giving me that error up if the original battery was low or empty?

not necessarily. The checksum error could be down to something as simple as not saving the settings etc

Hmm, OK, will try and get a new battery in meantime have gone back to old battery and stuck in the loop again. Even when I switch the boot order to CD-ROM first it still doesn't seem to recognise/run the XP recovery/boot disc..
Greg

ah i love that i dont have to know my way around multiple problems with my computer ;)

(there yer go typo)

LOL @ Timbo..

Its odd that your machine is doing that Greg.. Aren't you due an upgrade of your comp soon? :)

I feel your pain Greg! we've had a drive die this week, and we're running leopard, not snow leopard though, lol! Must be something to do with the weather?

Having real trouble getting any data off it, got some dude running spinrite on it at the moment sitting here with our fingers crossed. Backed up most of the stuff on there, but typically there are a couple of bits we could really do with in the next couple of days that weren't :D

doh!

Best of luck!

Typo said:
Windows 7 ....wasn't my idea

bloody windows 7! We just got a new PC to run our RIP and I can't seem to get our dongle to work on it in Windows 7! Some HASP key error or something??!?!!! Grrrrrr.... I don't see what all the fuss is about?

good looking adverts for once, mainly because there wasnt a huge ****ty logo with "windows"

About 3yrs old now, I think, so probably due an upgrade, I would have headed out to get a new PC (or Mac) by now if my car wasn't still stuck in snow about 20mins walk awat! :(

Take out the SATA Cable and then reseat it...sounds silly but i've done it before and its solved many problems..

Gregg you will have noticed that there's a new Apple Store opening in Newcastle soon.
I'll get Berry to buy you a supa doopa new mac.

There that should chear you up.

Re: the PC problem have you tried turning off and on again?

or rolling your left trouser leg up 3inches and whistling the star spangled banner whilst
garggling custard?

Just a suggestion.

oh, and there's no snow here at all.

If Berry wants to buy me a new Mac I'd on the train to Newcastle quicker than you can say 'Apple fanboy'!!

Friend popped over to take a look at my PC, looks like a HDD failure of some kind, atm looks like the data can be rescued, will be buying a cheap HDD tomorrow to install XP and try and transfer stuff across. Fingers crossed that gets it sorted for a month or two, in which time I can save up to buy a new machine :)

Thanks for all the helpful replies, Greg

Greg said:
If Berry wants to buy me a new Mac I'd on the train to Newcastle quicker than you can say 'Apple fanboy'!!

Friend popped over to take a look at my PC, looks like a HDD failure of some kind, atm looks like the data can be rescued, will be buying a cheap HDD tomorrow to install XP and try and transfer stuff across. Fingers crossed that gets it sorted for a month or two, in which time I can save up to buy a new machine :)

Thanks for all the helpful replies, Greg

If you want a hard drive I can fire you one down mate, I have tonnes of the damn things laying around the room, however the biggest one I think is 120gb so not huge

Thanks for the offer Glen but ordered one from eBuyer already, picked up a 1TB Samsung for just over £60 delivered next day, and plenty in stock, so fingers crossed it arrives today!

Cheers,
Greg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back