PC Down...

I would offer to come and have a look at your PC for you mate.. but you live too far away :p :lol:

Greg said:
PC is the primary machine, and yes have a MacBook as well, run the PC over Mac as have all my software files on PC. Bought the MacBook to use whilst I was away traveling :)

May sell it to put towards a PC upgrade as don't really use it now I'm back!

Well you are a trend breaker Greg, even Scott Hansen has gone mac these days, stating that he was sick of using a dated operating system!

london is not too far from kent..........depending on what part of kent. I used to drive to chatham from south east london three times a week for 3 years....................35 - 45 mins

mrp2049 said:
Well you are a trend breaker Greg, even Scott Hansen has gone mac these days, stating that he was sick of using a dated operating system!

I'd love to have an iMac, but just can't afford it at the moment (used to have one at my old job)

chrismitchell said:
Doesn't Greg live in Margate? :confused:

I'd take offense to that if it wasn't true! :p

I thought I was right :)

Dirty beaches in Margate.. is that her name then h? :lol:

Greg said:
I'd love to have an iMac, but just can't afford it at the moment (used to have one at my old job)

fair enough sir. I didn't want this to turn into the arguement, I was curious you see.

mrp2049 said:
fair enough sir. I didn't want this to turn into the arguement, I was curious you see.

I'm just waiting for Tim to get onto this thread, it must be the longest thread that mentions PC & Mac without him replying! :D

Greg if you're interested in an imac wait until the updates (they should be fairly soon I would have thought with nehalem mobile cpu's being released pretty much now) and then see how much a current gen is retailing for, the spec is more than enough for your needs I would have thought :)
Alternatively, you could buy a kvm switch (keyboard, video and mouse) and then buy a new pc base unit (build it yourself maybe) for around £500-600 that would better your current rig (and the imac) easily. I looked into a possible cheap quad core upgrade after seeing the new AMD Athlon X4 released for under £80, it worked out about 250 quid for 8GB ram, motherboard and the cpu. If you add on a case, psu hard drive, dvd burner and os it shouldn't be much more than about £500-600 as I said.

what spec is the macbook?

u dont fancy installing windows onto the macbook?

i have a few spare kvm switches kickin about if you want one... i have one spare usb and one spare ps2 one.

mrp2049 said:
doesnt he start college today?

yep.

and lol i wouldnt be a twat and just rub it in greg, i have a pc myself (despite the fact it's just a massive paperweight now)

Levi said:
I looked into a possible cheap quad core upgrade after seeing the new AMD Athlon X4 released for under £80, it worked out about 250 quid for 8GB ram, motherboard and the cpu. If you add on a case, psu hard drive, dvd burner and os it shouldn't be much more than about £500-600 as I said.

That sounds great Levi, only trouble is have no experience with building desktops, had a friend who did his, so maybe can get in touch with him and look at that as an option for my next upgrade :)

charles said:
what spec is the macbook?

MacBook is just a basic model, not sure on spec, it's nothing brilliant tbh.
Thanks for the offer on the switch! Will prob just do a straight swap when I do upgrade, but appreciate you mentioning it :)

tim said:
(despite the fact it's just a massive paperweight now)

Well my MacBook is a paperweight :p lol

Greg, building a pc these days is so easy its stupid. Its mostly plug in sockets and apart from maybe the sound/firewire/usb bit they're all different :)

I built my first computer (with a cpu worth over £300 at the time :eek:) and all I did was take my time and follow the instructions in the motherboard manual. It really is a simple job these days.

edit: Tim - Greg's seen the light :p

Sounds good, almost that simple that a douche could do it?!
Anything that stops me from becoming a Mac fan boy is good with me :D

Will look into this again when I have the funds available, and will most probably be bending your ear about it all at the time! Thanks for the advice :)

Yeah that's fine I've talked people through putting a computer together on the phone and over msn :)

AMD really are easy though, just got to be gentle (they're still quite hardy though) with the pins on the cpu (intels got the pins on the motherboard) when you're handling it

Back