Pattern poster

Blue Eye

I got inspired looking at the Behance website a couple of weeks ago.

I had to spend a while thinking about how I could do the effect quickly, and lo and behold the actual making of the image was quite fast - I think dealing with the white space took longer than the patterned picture! (hint - blur your eyes)

Anyhow, I shared this on DA but thought it was worth posting here too.

7799d197d73204b6d692183798183f10-d38p37v.png

Cheers!
Aaron

That's really cool! I've never really been too artistic but I do appreciate good artwork when I can.
I'm thinking to myself now, "How do you do that?!".
Don't suppose you'd mind summing up how you did it do you? I'm guessing it's not a Photoshop piece of art :D

You need Photoshop to help differentiate the areas of contrast. And use different layers in Illustrator building up the different levels of the pattern, then erase to suit.

It's probably doable in Photoshop, but I think it would maybe be a bit rough. Also, it's scaleable the way I did it, so I can enlarge up to A0 if I want. :)

To be honest, it was pretty quick to make the picture, but it took me a while the night before thinking of a tidy method to do it.

I think it looks good and, with the bit beneath as well, would work well as an advert with impact and so on - I think that it could perhaps be ever so slightly darker as it is quite tough to see the image, even with squinted eyes (I had to tip the screen up to see it properly)!

But then that might be the point!

I think you are probably right on that (though it was kind of the point also). I wanted the poster to stay errrrm "quiet". If that makes sense.

The effect works best when printed, because the vectors stay sharp.

The image doesn't show up on my screen, no matter how much I blur my eyes :D

I can see something white is in there, but an image doesn't show up sufficient for me to have any idea what it is.

Amanda

Errrm I'll try to post a darker version later, but I'm surprised... Maybe take a look here at the smaller version? Link

It might work when the image is more squashed together....

I think there is just a bit too much space between the dots, if the dots were grouped closer together then you may get away more with the colour not being so dark?

Here's a smaller more contrasty version. I agree that the dots need to be closer together for the next one. I reckon I'd like to do a small series on them, more testing needed though.

Here's the pic:
5464779681_029766a55c_z.jpg

Think that looks much better - it is a lot clearer but doesn't lose the effect either!

I guess if you can keep the dot proximity similar to that when enlarged then you could have it :icon_smile:

Thanks. :)

I think when I make the next one(s) I'll make a more dense dot. At the minute the dot is composed from the logo you see, so maybe I could do a reversed circle or something like that....

That's really good :icon_thumbup: Would it not be quicker (maybe) to fill the page using a patern then on a new layer use the Blob tool to draw your "white space", that could then be filld with a different / lighter pattern?

That's really good :icon_thumbup: Would it not be quicker (maybe) to fill the page using a patern then on a new layer use the Blob tool to draw your "white space", that could then be filld with a different / lighter pattern?

Maybe, but if it were to be done that way there would be less control over the colour or each of the pattern's elements. For example, the file that I have - I can make all the dots in the pattern red, the dark horizontal line green, and the remainder of the 'star' pink if I wanted to.

This is because each of those categories are on a separate layer.

Nice technique, would look good as a series of iconic faces

I would like to do this.

I'm a big fan blue eye.
I did something like that a few years ago for self promotion
It was a happy accident really! Mine isn't as detailed though, I'll see if I can dig it out!

Nice Job!

Here's a smaller more contrasty version. I agree that the dots need to be closer together for the next one. I reckon I'd like to do a small series on them, more testing needed though.

I can see a number of possibilities for this, it is really quite effective, thanks for sharing.

Back