Pantone query

Offelias

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying the pantone plus essentials - totaling £160 for the set of 6 plus a free Geo coated guide. A good price it seems.

I'm pretty aware of how their used.

My question isn't really so much of a question but rather a search for someone to make my decision for me as to whether to get them or not as it's a lot of money.
At the moment, I am a student. However, I'm finding that even as a student, I'd feel better informed having the pantone guides for

a) knowing how it works before hitting the industry
b) Better determination of CMYK (In other words, I prefer swatching for a colour than hitting the eye dropper tool on the computer and going down the printing a test -> readjust -> test ->readjust. Granted there are callibration issues between screens, printers etc but when using my tutors swatches, I find they generally are close enough if using Uni or external printers
c) When my freelance requires spot colour (as yet my clients have been small and not budgeted for that luxury..

Soo.. Shall I get them now or wait until I'm a bit further in my career? I can spare the money but I need someone to free me of my guilt..

I do love them though..

Is the price you quote a student price? I believe student pricing is offered?

Don't forget - they degrade - look after them. Also they date as more colours are introduced.

This said - a very very useful piece of kit.

One thought - a second hand set to learn with?

I think that a set of Pantone swatches are invaluable but I agree with Minuteman, you can pick up a second hand set for much cheaper - here's a link to what's on Ebay

I've been looking on ebay for a few weeks to see how they tend to go price wise.
For the same thing I'd be looking at a similar price once postage and items are combined so I think I'll buy the new set while I can afford them.. the price above is a student price and also includes postage.
I've sat with my calculator.. worked out wages etc.. I work 21 hours a week part time so I've settled on the fact that if I'm putting money into savings and shares every month I can afford to get them.

I did consider ebay for just one booklet.. though I find I work a lot with various papers so ideally it would be good to have coated and uncoated versions..

Ooh also turns out we have a printer at Uni capable of spot printing!! So Yay to that I can't wait to find an appropriate colour from my swatches :)

Thanks for your advice guys even though I didn't listen..
I think I just needed to know they are as useful as I see them being.

its certainly an investment! I keep meaning to buy a set but as of yet haven't got round to it! You will however find that any studio you work in will have a pantone chart but thats no good if youre freelancing and the boss wont lend them out.

no good if youre freelancing and the boss wont lend them out

Definitely bigdave! I figure I spend enough time borrowing from the tutor that I might as well invest. That's on the Uni side. With the freelance, I just don't think it's very good practice to just rely on the eyedropper and home test prints when its not viable to get a proof or the job is too small to warrant one.

Plus I also think it will be good to get to know the system well when using them alongside print-readying so that I don't have to have it all taught to me when I first gain employment.

I think the print aspects of design are under taught in education. When doing freelance I've learnt a great deal about settings for documents etc.. and its surprising we don't get taught this. I'm lucky that I got to work for a one-man printer company who spent a great deal of time explaining what he needed from me and why in terms of print-readying.

I love the print side.. and it's so important to know what is actually possible from their side. Someone in a printing company once told me that you can tell a recent graduate design a mile off because they often require adjusting for print ready, or it's something far too luxurious or way over-budget.

Print and Design centre in York

Hi guys,

I am looking at buying the pantone plus essentials - totaling £160 for the set of 6 plus a free Geo coated guide. A good price it seems.

I'm pretty aware of how their used.

My question isn't really so much of a question but rather a search for someone to make my decision for me as to whether to get them or not as it's a lot of money.
At the moment, I am a student. However, I'm finding that even as a student, I'd feel better informed having the pantone guides for

a) knowing how it works before hitting the industry
b) Better determination of CMYK (In other words, I prefer swatching for a colour than hitting the eye dropper tool on the computer and going down the printing a test -> readjust -> test ->readjust. Granted there are callibration issues between screens, printers etc but when using my tutors swatches, I find they generally are close enough if using Uni or external printers
c) When my freelance requires spot colour (as yet my clients have been small and not budgeted for that luxury..

Soo.. Shall I get them now or wait until I'm a bit further in my career? I can spare the money but I need someone to free me of my guilt..

I do love them though..

Hold on to your cash for now!

Explore ebay etc - I know were your coming from but really HOLD ON 6 months and see if you still need them.

When you start out you will be very lucky to larch on to a client who has budget for spot colours - Press CMYK is so good these days that spot colours are dropping of a bit (be carefull with Orange'e/Purple's and od greens).

Loads of other options mail me if you need advice.

Back