Pantone + CMYK colorbook

Hugo123

Hi guys,

I'm trying to find matching PMS colors to some already picked CMYK colors. Can I also use the colors in the color books PANTONE + CMYK Coated and Uncoated? Are these PMS colors ok to send to printers? I can't seem to find any information on this on Google.

Hope you can help me. Thanks in advance!

PMS is The Pantone Matching System you can use the pantone colours in the book / illustrator etc and there values match-up.

Pantone are mixed inks, available only through lithographic production, basically printed the exact same colour every time, world over as they are mixed with fixed values, you can re-create them on a digital press but this rarely works correctly with the same result.

• what you want to do if you haven't already and are printing on a digital press (xerox / Konica / Cannon / Epson);
get the CMYK break down of your chosen pantone and get a test-print from a local printers, shouldn't cost much and make sure the colour is correct (do not do this on a bog-standard home printer)

• if you are printing on lithographic press (speedster);
simply supply your artwork set-up with the Pantone (sometimes referred to as spot colours, same thing) to your printers, specify however you want a pantone as most by default will print CMYK, largely from a litho press it would be pretty similar, if you want to get a test of the colour in this route then make sure you get an Epson colour test, its digital some what.

uncoated, coated, solid coated etc are for different stock, if your printing on a silk (or glossy) paper it is coated so use the coated pantone, if you are printing on a Bond, conquerer or some other matt stock use the uncoated if you have a lot solid colours use solid coated or solid uncoated.

hope this helped? i tried to explain from start to finish as basically as i could, equally i mean no offence.

Back