Paint on plastic..

Soprano

Not sure if this is the right section (I think I always say this!) but basically, I'm looking at doing some hand drawn wall decals for my daughters bedroom. I've not got loads to spend on it so I opted for a few simple rolls of sticky back plastic (this feels v.art attacky!)

When I got it I tried using pen markers and the posca paint markers to draw onto it, obviously the pen markers left stroke lines whereas the posca ones left more of a bold colour with no marking on it. But not all of them worked (no idea why) and it was a bit of an effort to get the colour to sort of.. set.. if that makes sense.

So I'm looking at other paint options to paint onto the plastic. I tried a wee bit of acrylic I had but that left brush strokes. I'm even tempted to go pick up a tester emulsion pot to see how that goes. I just wondered if anyone had any other suggestions for me?

Thanks. :)

:scratches head: My english is not the best, so I am not sure if I understood what you are trying to do, but why don’t you paint directly on the wall ...?

I rent, so although I'm allowed to wallpaper/freshen the walls up with a coat of paint, I don't think my landlord would be too happy with me doing illustrations all over the bedroom wall!

Plus this way I can change the designs as she gets older :)

I forgot to try :( Will have a go over the next week or so once I've got on top of uni stuff. I'll post back and let you know how it works out. :)

It depends on the sort of plastic but acrylic should work a treat so it may be the quality of the paint. Were you using crafters' acrylic or artists' (and what quality of artists). Try asking at a proper old fashioned craft shop where the assistants actually know what they are talking about as acrylic paint made for craft use (painting on vases etc) would probably be better.

Glass paint will probably work well but will be expensive.

If you have small patches of colour, then you could try begging old bottles of nail varnish from friends. It looks fabulous on CDs.

Ooh never thought of nail varnish. I'm going to buy some paper tomorrow so I'll have a look around for some decent acrylics - in all fairness the stuff I tested with was my daughters tube of acrylic which probably isn't that good :p

Thanks for the advice.

The sticky rolls... are they already on the wall?
They'll get damaged easily even though they look strong and it will be hard
to remove them.

I suggest you use wallpaper with watery glue. Then paint it. If your "Sistine
Chapel" doesnt come out exactly the way you like, you will be able to remove
it easily and do it again until youre happy with the result.

Never use material that makes repairing mistakes hard.

Just my 2 cents.

No it's just basically a roll of sticky back plastic. I've already stuck it onto the wall and taken it off with no issue so I'm not too worried.

Still need to try the washing up liquid tip.

Back