Own logo design

I have the onerous task of branding myself, and after a final push I've arrived at this destination. I'd appreciate some of your good, honest feedback. Don't be shy.

A little about me to put the logo in context; I'm setting up as a self employed graphic designer, targeting small/medium new/existing businesses to offer a complete design and print service. All the fun of an agency but without the bullcrap or big invoices.

I've been following a certain train of thought which has ended in an opening door symbol, analogising the gateway or path to a solution/profit/better future/cakes/God. My slogan might be something like "Unlocking your company's potential", not decided yet.

Comments welcome!

Final.jpg

I've seen the same thing done before.

Not sure the use of Trade Gothic and Lubalin Graph works well together as you've shown.

The door for me doesn't show you as a creative. Less 'unlocking' and more 'shown the door' if get my meaning.

Not all identities have to have a clever icon or marque.

Thanks Ross.

It's Bebas and Rockwell, but I know what you're saying. These are two of my favourite fonts. I've been looking at simple logotypes, and trying to avoid overly complicated or clever symbols as I prefer something classy and understated to represent me visually.

This is the hardest brief I've ever had.

Designing for yourself is always the hardest job.

Thats why i would make it simple. Just text if it has to be. In time it will develop. Don't over force and over design it.

Bebas eh? A very similar and free version of Trade Gothic Condensed 20. I'm having that for my next web project!

Rockwell! I shall now go and punch myself in the face for my schoolboy error.

Hi Lee, i know exactly what you are going through. Ive been trying to re-brand myself for months and keep putting it on the back burner.

As for your logo, the E reminds me of the attached logo designed by Graham Smith for Tamara Kauffman. This could just be a coincidence but if you have accidentally been inspired by it then I would be careful, a lot of other designers would spot the similarities. I wouldnt say it infringes copyright, but it could be seen by some to show a lack of originality.

Im also not keep on the wide spacing between letters. Is there a logic behind that? It concerns me that if the logo is shrunk down to fit a small space then due to its width the word design would go very very small.

The word 'design' just kinda floats when I look at it. Looks like a bit of an afterthought. Its not centred, its not justified left or right, its just kinda thrown on. Do you really need the word 'design' anyway? If you think u do then maybe take a second look at its position. You could always replace it with a line of text the width of your logo that reads 'design, print and all of your creative needs' or something to that effect.

Attachments

• 4538191549_91dec2bc4b.jpg
    4538191549_91dec2bc4b.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 39
Ross, don't be so hard on yourself! Simplicity is the key, eh?

Dave, I've not seen their work so it is coincidental, and I agree it's not particularly original but will strike a chord with my target market, I think. The wide spacing hints at confidence which is a strong point of my proposition, but take on board that to fit a width the height will be small. And yes... the 'design' was a secondary element :) I did think about changing the font to a small caps and have it spanning the width, as I also have a slogan I want use (see OP).

Cheers guys, keep 'em coming.

To be honest I would lose the 'rockwell' altogether, don't think it sits nicely with the other font

Thanks Mick, but I just can't bring myself to using my surname only - it may sound good to you but I'll have to say this name at least once per day, possibly for years, so I want it to sound right coming out of my mouth!

I'm looking at other options such as 'VKRS' as an abbreviation, and also looking at trading names other than my own name... again.

I can't help it, I've always tried to exhaust all the possibilities before settling on an option!

[Edit: Thanks for the link, same fantastic stuff there, and great insights into the construction of the logos.]

Hi Lee,

designing an identity for yourself is very tricky indeed.
I'm not convinced on this I'm afraid, the open door idea I've seen before somewhere and the placement of the type is a little jarring.

Maybe really simplify it and build from there. Maybe its just a clean typeface, as it feels like you maybe trying to hard here.

Sorry not very positive I know

Thanks Dot Design, rather you're honest!

I know it's the hardest job I'll probably have to work on, and have started writing myself a brief to help focus my thoughts. I know what you mean about using characters for visual tricks and I'm not totally convinced either, but then the work mark/logotype isn't really for my benefit, but for my clients and potential market to identify me by; in that sense I think they will respond to something like this, even though I'm not totally sold on it.

Still toying with the idea of nicely setting my name in a good font.

I agree. I think the lp vickers on it's own could look quite strong if it was tightened up a bit.

Thanks guys, great feedback. After much deliberation I've decided to go with 'Vickers Creative' and see how it fares. I'll use this logo and let it evolve naturally over time, as Ross says.

Vickers-Creative-logo.jpg

I'm going to go with a colour scheme of Blue/Orange, but more primary French blue/secondary burnt orange.

Vickers-Creative-colour-logo.jpg

Back