Overtaking the competition in Page Ranks

DaveGears86

ok, so, I know an intermediate amount when it comes to SEO, but I think I lack knowledge when it comes to altering a pages SEO in order to overtake the competition who is one above me on Google. I've managed to get a page of mine to first organic place on the first page under the term "web design kidbrooke" - Google Search for "web design Kidbrooke".
This must mean I'm doing something right (Besides, I don't think that this search term is highly popular, so maybe it's not a big deal), but I have no real idea of what I am doing correctly. (any indication would be appreciated).

I have other pages which are area specific, but my "kidbrooke" page is the only page which ranks on the first page, there is a lot of competition for the other areas and because of this, I have no idea how to tackle my SEO and improve my pr for those pages. Any advice?

I've read a large amount of threads in this section and often see others saying they adapted their SEO and overtook the competition. I'm sure this is due to altering meta keywords and writing better content which contain those keywords. But if I already have content which contains the correct keywords for the search term, then what else can I do/alter? (maybe I'm approaching this the wrong way, I have no idea, but this is where I tend to get lost because I've already got keywords and page content which match the search term. I have no idea what to do to improve my page rank)

If anybody could help shine some light on this for me, that'd be greatly appreciated.

thanks

What other terms are you wanting to score highly on?

When I clicked the link above you came just under the paid adverts at the top!

Whilst I thought I knew in principle how to get near the top of the three webistes I have only the oldest one (been on the www since 2001) - which is now just a single page - is on the first page. My other two are dawdling lower down. But then there are more graphic designers round me that I care to think about!

I want to score highly on area specific terms which I already have pages for - "web design greenwich", "web design blackheath" are two that I'd love to get at least on the first page.
I've also realised I have 3 more pages which rank #1 (all area specific and similar to the ones I have already mentioned).

What search term would I have to Google to see your page?

I'm beginning to fall obsessively in love with this Google ranking stuff now, before today I would try a few things and never really follow up on it, I really want to explore what works and use it on other websites.

The thing that baffles me, is my website has barely any backlinks ...That is another area which I have zero knowledge of. Apart from asking other websites to link to me, I have no real direction on how to obtain backlinks :(

Well with regards to 'web design greenwich and web design blackheath', I presume you have taken a look to see the 'exact' search volumes for those 2 to see whether it is even worth ranking for them, if it is, then both .co.uk are available. I would buy both, host them somewhere different to your main website, write some on topic content and link to your main website from the term, that will help.

I'm beginning to fall obsessively in love with this Google ranking stuff now.

I got like that for a while. What happens though, is you read so many different and conflicting points of views, and as there are no rights and wrongs you end up smashing your head against the wall because you can't get the answers you want.

There are so many different techniques and ways to do different things, then you end up obsessing over the tiny little details that really don't matter. It was giving me sleepless nights thinking about things, waking up first thing, or during the night, to change it and try something else.

In the end, I just had to settle on what I thought was the best strategy for me and go with it. I don't think trying to con a search engine is going to work for much longer. They're getting really smart, so make sure whatever you do it's all honest and good hard work (not saying you'd try otherwise) but definitely keep it all straight and to the point.

Also, writing honest and fresh content helps. Keep updating, keep adding and changing things, make sure you've got links to your pages from your other pages. You can do that by adding a load of sneaky links in your footer etc.

Keep plugging away at it.

Well with regards to 'web design greenwich and web design blackheath', I presume you have taken a look to see the 'exact' search volumes for those 2 to see whether it is even worth ranking for them

I'll be honest, I have no idea how I would check the search volumes of a search term ...I'm betting it's real simple though.

As for registering two new domains which represent web design for the Greenwich/Blackheath areas, that's a good idea. So far I have something some-what similar (pages on my site which represent each individual area) - I know this is not the same and not as advantageous, so I'll be giving your idea some serious thought.

Thanks Boss Hog

I got like that for a while. What happens though, is you read so many different and conflicting points of views, and as there are no rights and wrongs you end up smashing your head against the wall because you can't get the answers you want.

I've sometimes felt this way as well even though I was never really concentrating on it too much. I also read so much online that contrasts what others have said, what a pain.

Thankfully, I already have internal links in my footer and generally every page is one/two clicks max away from any given page. I could do with updating some of the content as I haven't altered anything on there in some time.

Thanks Tony

Back