Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out of the (graphic design) frying pan and into the (illustration) fire

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by thisnorthernboy, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Hi all,

I'm a graphic designer of fifteen years, a little disillusioned with the industry - or perhaps just not showing enough passion for it to get on, who has decided to make the jump to illustration.

I've always drawn, although over the last decade or so that's been quite rare, but now I want to make it my career. I've started a blog, partly to track my progress, and partly to spur me on to keep working and keep drawing.

I'd appreciate any feedback, advice, hello's or just general chat.

Nice to be here.

thisnorthernboy

this northern boy

2. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

I believe I've already seen your work, but welcome to the forum.

3. DigitalYak

DigitalYak Member

Some really nice work, what software are you using for the colouring?

4. Hi Matt, thanks for your comment. I'm just using photoshop for the colour. So the drawing is just done with a pen on paper, scanned, set to multiply (after twiddling with levels a bit) and then numerous colour layers are built up beneath that. I'm sure there's a better way - but it's working OK for me at the moment.

Cheers

5. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Looking really good.

Careful of showing such large images of your work - they are easily nicked!

thisnorthernboy likes this.
  6. Cheers Ian. Probably right. Need to look into watermarking too I think.

7. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

I am in the process of getting my work online but this is exactly what I am worried about.

Btw thisnorthernboy, how did you record yourself colouring in your work to put on youtube?

8. All my colouring is done in photoshop, building up layers of colour and detail. I made jpg snapshots of progress and then used 'Time Lapse Assembler' to stitch them into a movie. It's a free download. Pretty cool.

9. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Ah clever, nice one!