Oscars Poster by Olly Moss

T

Tony Hardy

Olly Moss has created a fantastic poster for the Oscars ceremony, celebrating each of the past "Best Film" winners in a unique and different way!
"Moss says the brief (which came via Gallery 1988) was one of the hardest he has ever had. He had to come up with a suitable pose for each Best Picture-winner, from Wings to The Artist (cleverly depicted in black and white)."

Can you name them all?
View a full size version of the Oscar Poster here.

Attachments

• tumblr_mi2ejqd56m1qeqo31o1_1280.jpg
    tumblr_mi2ejqd56m1qeqo31o1_1280.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 21
Best thing about Olly's work is that he continuously pushes himself to work on new styles in an effort to improve and stay fresh.
If you check out his Star Wars trilogy work, that style has been copied by thousands since but rather than Olly get upset or try and claim the style as his own, he just moves on to try something else. It must be tempting to stick to a style that is proven as a success, especially when it comes to sales of his work, but he seems brave enough to try new things which is pretty impressive.

Reactions: tim
davewill said:
Best thing about Olly's work is that he continuously pushes himself to work on new styles in an effort to improve and stay fresh.
If you check out his Star Wars trilogy work, that style has been copied by thousands since but rather than Olly get upset or try and claim the style as his own, he just moves on to try something else. It must be tempting to stick to a style that is proven as a success, especially when it comes to sales of his work, but he seems brave enough to try new things which is pretty impressive.
Yeah, his work is great and his style is always changing and evolving! I remember him being fairly mad when someone made a direct rip-off of one of his Star Wars posters though, even down to the clouds. I think it was the game Borderlands?

I really like this, it’s very clever and as you say, those subtle nuances are often enough to easily identify the movie.
I’m left guessing with the older ones though…I should probably watch more old movies.
Might have to get this chap on the Creative Chair.

wac said:
I’m left guessing with the older ones though…I should probably watch more old movies.
I feel like that sometimes. Then I watch one, and remember why I don't bother ;) Haha!

wac said:
Might have to get this chap on the Creative Chair.
That would be awesome. If you do, send me an email, I have a thousand questions for him. Did a whole project on his work at Uni ;) Haha. #obsessed

Tony Hardy said:
Yeah, his work is great and his style is always changing and evolving! I remember him being fairly mad when someone made a direct rip-off of one of his Star Wars posters though, even down to the clouds. I think it was the game Borderlands?
Oh yeah, it was Boarderlands 2. For a large computer game corporation to intentionally trace existing work is not cool, Id be mad at that. Theres a link to that story here... http://kotaku.com/5945276/upset-artist-claims-borderlands-2s-manual-art-swipes-from-his-designs
That's quite different to using Olly's style as inspiration though. Lots of people are copying that silhouette effect like Ollys Star Wars posters but most people do it so badly its laughable. Olly has admitted himself he didnt invent that as a style, he has taken inspiration from others, but theres a unique look to his work that makes it his own. His biggest challenge is staying ahead of the crowd, which is much harder than it sounds!

Yeah, the Borderlands 2 example is really bad. There's no way a gaming company that big should be tracing artwork from an international artist. Like he said, he would have loved to work for them. They should've been sensible and hired him to produce something equally as awesome and unique!
I wonder how much he charges for these things :/

Ive read that Olly doesnt charge for his Mondo posters, he just agrees with them he can have his own batch of Artists Proofs that he sells on his own website once the initial run of posters has sold out. So thats where he makes his money on posters. Not sure about commissions!

Saw this last week, and I love it. It's so simple, but brilliant as a result. And his Star Wars posters were great too.

Back