Opinions please...

cellar_door

Hi guys.

I've been working on this logo for the last couple of days and I'm sending it to the client later on today. What do you think? I'm quite happy with it, but because I work alone it can be difficult to keep thinking objectively when you've been working on something for a while. I always find showing concepts here for feedback really useful. :)

Cheers,

Jim

sitch.jpg

I like the idea, the execution of the carp is really clever. I just wonder if there are too many gradients going on. Especially with the bluey greeny background you have used. I get that it gives the impression of water but I found it took me a few looks to distinguish what the logo spelt out because it clashed a bit with the heavy background. Maybe you could lighten up the background, or maybe try it on a white background?

I would also love to see how it looks as solid colours, like just a white fish on a solid colour background, or vice versa. Im not sure how it would replicate if it was photocopied or produced really small in its current gradient form.

I love the idea though, and the execution, I just wonder if the colours could be simplified!
________
California Dispensary

I imagine the background is just to show the logo off, it is (I assume) meant to be versatile enough to be shown on any background... it would be good to see it in greyscale (or just B&W - depending how it will be used)

I really really like it :) definitely something I would expect to see on one of those list blogs with lots of clever logos on :)

Well done - very jealous :p

I'm going to be honest and say the fish doesn't really look like a carp to me.

Thanks guys.

You're right, the background is just for presentation. With regards to the colour, I always start a logo design in black and white to make sure it works before sorting out the colour. I can post some mono versions if you want to see them. The gradient uses colours sampled from a photograph of an actual carp and is made up of 3 colours - maybe I should simplify it to two...

Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think. Much appreciated.

Jim

Hi Levi.

I did use a photo of a carp to trace around in Illustrator to get the overall shape. On a real carp the eye is a little lower and further forward, but I needed to put it where it is to create the 'S'. It's only a graphic representation - I think it's close enough.

Like the logo a lot! hate when people use gradients 'for presentation'. Could you post it on white?

yeh Jim, it would be interesting to see your progression if you did post some earlier mono versions.

Levi, how much more like a carp can it look!!! Its almost identical to this image I just found!
________
Live sex

Attachments

• Picture 27.jpg
    Picture 27.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 4
Not sure if you need an opinion for this but I'd supply a lighter weight font for the solid backgrounds :)

Now that is awesome! looks so much cleaner, stronger and so much more legible. If I was to present it to the client I would show it as you have here, then if needs be in the future you know it can be applied to gradient backgrounds, but i wouldnt show him that unless he specifically has asked for it.
excellent work.
________
house wives Webcam

Much better!

Really nice! works very well in the mono versions which really shows strength.

The colours in my opinion could do with brightening up but perhaps they're supposed in better representation of a carp? The colours seem a little muddy the way they blend, perhaps a solid colour on the fish would work.

Nice work, I think you can definatley present this with confidence!

davewill said:
yeh Jim, it would be interesting to see your progression if you did post some earlier mono versions.

Levi, how much more like a carp can it look!!! Its almost identical to this image I just found!

Can't remember how we got them but we've had a few (mirror I think) carps in our ponds at various points and they always had more underneath than on top as your image is showing. But maybe that's just cause they were rather large by the time they'd stopped growing (big pond) :D

And for the record I wasn't actually saying I didn't like Jim's design, I just didn't feel it looked like a carp :)

Levi said:
Can't remember how we got them but we've had a few (mirror I think) carps in our ponds at various points and they always had more underneath than on top as your image is showing. But maybe that's just cause they were rather large by the time they'd stopped growing (big pond) :D

And for the record I wasn't actually saying I didn't like Jim's design, I just didn't feel it looked like a carp :)

Oh Levi, you do talk some carp :p

yeah yeah if you say so, but I think hoover, dyson and fanta (a fantailed hybrid) might disagree with you :p

hoover and dyson, basically ate all the food so got the nicknames, fanta's got an orange/gold tint to the brown scales

Cheers Renniks, I know what you mean. I wasn't wild about the changes, but it's not too bad. I really don't want it to look like a word in the shape of a fish, I want it to be a fish that happens to spell something, if that makes sense.

Think I'll keep the original version for my portfolio though.

Back