Opinions on Business Card.

I think you should stick wih the idea James, just look at the conversation posting the design has sparked on here, if your business card can create that conversation (an ice breaker) or become memorable off the back of the design, ie a talking point, then IMO it's done its job very well, scannable or not.

Yea there is no way someone should have to design their cards so that someones card scanner could read it. How long dose it take to punch a phone number into a pc anyway? Maybe if you were processing like 50+ cards a day but how many people do that.....

Having a huge amount of trouble finding a typeface that compliments the typeface currently in use (which is called KiloGram). Any suggestions would be helpful. Arial/Helvitica are banned.

Slightly off-topic, does anyone else think 'A Clockwork Orange' when they see James' logo or is it just me? The typeface and enlarged 'A' make it very familiar.

Yeh Greg, if you look at James' earlier work samples on another thread, he has designed a nice clockwork orange poster which looks similar to his own logo. i disagree with you though when you say that james' card has sparked off such a big reaction. peoples reactions seem to be based on his reasoning and judgement relating to his card details, rather than the design itself.

As for the scanning debate, i agree that you shouldnt have to design your card just so a scanner can read it, but surely for those clients who do use technology it wouldnt hurt to make it user friendly. That is what design communication is all about.

I think your right James when you say you dont want to let gimmicks rule your designs, and that is fine when you are doing design just because you love it and you enjoy it, but if its something you want to make a business out of and make money from then thats a completely different scenario.
________
SiZzlinPuSsyHottie cam

davewill said:
I think your right James when you say you dont want to let gimmicks rule your designs, and that is fine when you are doing design just because you love it and you enjoy it, but if its something you want to make a business out of and make money from then thats a completely different scenario.

exactly :)

It's also not just your business card that makes you memorable, your work and personality do too.

I'd defo go with the small logo on the front, I'm liking the idea of the back but the execution isn't grabbing me, perhaps a different font? But stick to your guns... if this is what you do, do it and don't be a sheep.

Surely a business card is meant to communicate key bits of information and making that information hard to process is counter productive...

ralphsaunders said:
Surely a business card is meant to communicate key bits of information and making that information hard to process is counter productive...

I've never found typing a phone number into my phone to be all that difficult that I could not
possibly accept someone's business card if that was indeed the case. lol.

ralphsaunders said:
I am referring to the use of words instead of numbers on the back.

Yeah but if I put 'phone me' next to a set of numbers (even as words), one would need to be particularly slow to not figure it out.

ralphsaunders said:
But why make it different? I'm all for doing stuff differently if its better but I see no pro's to using words.

I like different. It's not tragically bad. So why not? I am not a fan of trending and this trend of technology defining the way we design (in this case phone number scanners) just seems ludicrous in my view,

Different can be good but it can also be bad, i'm not sure if its good or bad in this case. I don't think people write phone numbers as numbers for scanners but because a phone number is what it is, a number rather than words.

ralphsaunders said:
Different can be good but it can also be bad, i'm not sure if its good or bad in this case. I don't think people write phone numbers as numbers for scanners but because a phone number is what it is, a number rather than words.

I am truly not bothered about the scanning side of things. I think if i've made enough of an impression on them before handing my card over, the concept of being written or numerical
will be a non-entity.

Numero Fouro.

tumblr_kzcjw77Flh1qaur0wo1_500.jpg

and number 5

tumblr_kzcsebc8iQ1qaur0wo1_500.jpg

Yeah, new font is looking much better on the back. I do prefer the numerical version to be honest, not that I have much of a problem with the worded version, it just sits better on the card for me.

Not sure how ledgible the email adress would be at that size though.

Back