Opinions Needed!

NTW

Hello! I am currently doing my A-levels, one of them being in Product Design, and need user feedback as part of my coursework.
The design brief was to make a flat pack product such as a chair, a light fitting or a table. The product must be cohesive with the V&A Museum’s gift shop design concepts as well as the existing furnishings for the ‘British Design’ exhibit.
The product was inspired by the camera that David Bailey used in the iconic Jean Shrimpton shoot for Vogue in the 60's; this camera captured Baily and Jeans journey in New York as they broke the mould of fashion and encouraged the beginning of youth culture.
Questions to the feedback survey:
Would you buy it?
Would you expect to see the product in the V&A shop?
How much you would pay for it?
Is there any improvements or modifications you would like to see?
View attachment 1280
View attachment 1281

Attachments

• IMG_20130207_124358.jpg
    IMG_20130207_124358.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20130207_124452.jpg
    IMG_20130207_124452.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 51
first things first - my background is product design and I'll say it as I see it, no offence is intended.
Critique of the design - note I haven't seen the v&a stuff to compare it's relevence to their aesthetics
1) it's not lens like - clear shelves would work better
2) it's not like the pentax lens, it has a 'stepped' design - increase the number of outside slats and have them alternating with a thinner thickness to symbolise the 'stepped' design. More slats will also give a more rounded look, it's too straight at the moment.
3) the white markings are too white/big - they stand out too much in my opinion.
4) doesn't look particuarly strong, no obvious fixings to stop the shelves falling out.
Would I buy it - no
Would you expect to see the product in the V&A shop? - as said no idea what the look of the v&a stuff is but probably not
How much you would pay for it? - as I wouldn't buy it this has no answer

As someone who isn't a product designer, I have to say that I wouldn't buy this. I don't think it looks very.. saleable. It's too home made for me I'm afraid. I don't know what a V&A shop is, presumably something for products that look home made? lol.
If I were to buy it, I wouldn't expect to pay much for it. Maybe around £5? Sorry, I just don't like it!

Isn't it the wrong way round? I would normally put a shelving unit up against the wall so you don't really see the back.

Dont take the comments to heart - use them for their purpose and move forward. When designing make sure you are feeling positive and inspired. Do plenty of research, then go with your gut.

He has already posted photos....
Janifar could you repeat the following code please: Je5RT8d :p

Back