Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Only just realised I really really want to be a designer!

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by susnapt, Mar 27, 2012.

1. susnapt

susnapt Junior Member

Hello!

Great past posts - I've spent the past hour reading through some - very talented and helpful people here!

Right.... so I went to uni and did a BA and MA in English lit and philosophy - and ended up working in a marketing agency in a very uncreative role. After a year here I've decided I want to teach myself all the relevant software and become a digital designer (I'd prefer to do print, but digital seems to be the way forward - any opinions on this?)

I've gone part time to really ensure I have the time to take this seriously - but do you think all the resources online are sufficient to teach yourself how to design? I've had my eye on a course offered by shilington college: Graphic Design Courses & Classes ? London & Manchester | Shillington College UK which looks amazing but costs a small fortune! Any past pupils or any other more cost efficient but brilliant courses available in london?

Also, are there any people here who have built a successful career as a designer with no formal training in the past?

And... any useful suggestions for websites/magazines/blog that teach/discuss/inspire etc... would be very much appreciated!

Thanks all! And hello.

2. Thewholehogg

Thewholehogg Active Member

Welcome to DF

3. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

Ideal world -

do a foundation course.

do a degree.

fight against unemployed designers and other graduates for placement.

fight against unemployed designers and other graduates for internship.

fight against unemployed designers and other graduates for full time employment.

all of the above whilst teaching yourself the programmes, reading magazines and learning about design , typography, digital design, coding etc etc etc etc...

Good Luck.

No really... Good Luck.

4. susnapt

susnapt Junior Member

Thanks for the run through, sounds like an incredibly tough industry to crack!

Would you definitely recommend a course of some sort to start of the process? If so, what are your opinions on distant learning courses?

And is freelancing a better option once a portfolio is put together than finding a permanent position? I guess you need a pretty strong portfolio and some good recommendations to be a successful freelancer though...

Also, any suggestions on online 'briefs' or competitions would be really appreciated. Let me know if you know of any useful links, industry magazines, typography magazines/resources etc..

Many thanks!

5. rossnorthernunion

rossnorthernunion Senior Member

If you're talking about freelancing in a studio / agency you're going to need have a strong portfolio to demonstrate to the studio / agency that you're good enough to be hired.

If you're talking about freelancing in at home and finding your own clients you're going to need have a strong portfolio to demonstrate to potential clients that you're good enough to be hired.

To get a good 'graduate / intern / junior' portfolio together going to uni / college really is the best option in my opinion.

Briefs? Have a look in your local paper, look at all the bad adverts, recreate them. Find some bad identities, recreate them, websites, brochures etc. try demonstrate your skills, and thinking process, and creativity.

Links? Google

Creative Review, The Drum etc - just pop into WHSmiths...