Online Background Removal tool.

Levi

Staff member
Not sure how long this will stick around or if it will start charging but
https://www.remove.bg/ seems to be an option to remove background imagery rather than the tedious work it is now.

Had a quick play and while I wouldn't say it's perfect it's pretty good from what I tested.

edit: OK.. just had a thought so I'll add this bit. I have no affiliation with this company, I just found them via another website (the verge) I frequent and thought it would be useful to us as designers. As with all online tools please check their t&c's to ensure they don't cause you any issues with things like non disclosure, gdpr etc etc.

Last edited:
I keep seeing ads for that or something similar on my FaceBook feed but never took that much notice incase it was some sort of spam.

Looks like it works quite well as long as there is reasonable contrast with the background and its not too busy.
I guess it could be good if you took a lot of images with this in mind like product shots and you could just run them through it.

To be honest, I've seen a lot of "Designers" make a worse job than that does. ;)

If it sticks around and doesn't charge (much) it will be an incredibly useful tool imo. It took literally a few seconds to do a job that can take us a good few hours in some cases which is as Hank puts it INSANE :p

Pretty sure I read somewhere that Adobe was working on something similar as a built in tool for Photoshop too.

I tried a few more complex images and it failed.

But for simpler objects it's an excellent starting point.

Thing is....If this is the start. Who knows where it could go?

7cc.jpg

I tried a few more complex images and it failed.

But for simpler objects it's an excellent starting point.
Yeah but for those 'crop this furry headed person' out of this solid background type jobs it did seem to work pretty well in my very quick testing. Having said that for the time it takes there's no harm in giving it a go before trying to do it yourself, if it does work you've just saved yourself a load of time.

I make real estate signs and I cannot tell you how many hours I've spent cutting real estate agents out of photos. This could save me so much time potentially.

Okay guys I found a problem. I tried to use this, I uploaded a 1000px file and ended up downloading a photo less than half the size... Ended up having to go back to photoshop anyway.

Okay guys I found a problem. I tried to use this, I uploaded a 1000px file and ended up downloading a photo less than half the size... Ended up having to go back to photoshop anyway.
yeah that 'might' be an issue.... never ran into it as I wasn't really downloading it.

An update on this through email this morning

However, for performance reasons the output image is limited to 625 × 400 pixels. With a premium subscription you have access to HD images with up 2500 × 1600 pixels - AMAZING

An update on this through email this morning

However, for performance reasons the output image is limited to 625 × 400 pixels. With a premium subscription you have access to HD images with up 2500 × 1600 pixels - AMAZING
Maybe it's me but if I'm paying for it then it should be at whatever resolution we supply, I wouldn't class 2500x1600 as HD, that's like a 4 megapixel image which is anything but HD in this day and age.

Depending on the cost of a subscription you might as well go with one of these super cheap clipping companies. I'm not sure we would use it enough to warrant a subscription model (I HATE this business model with a passion when it comes to pc stuff), a pay for x downloads would work better imo, not to mention if I'm using something enough to require a subscription I can likely find software out there that will do the same job for a one off price.

I think they are slowly making it better. The company remove.bg have a subscription model.

If you're doing websites then it's fine and a quick and cheap way to clip your images with no fuss.

2500x1600 @300 ppi is approx A5 size.

That's pretty decent.

Hi Ryan

Thanks for that. Yes, of course you can do it in Photoshop.

Consider how long it took you to do that - and I popped the image into the editor and it took less than 5 seconds

Granted there's a bity of fuzziness on the left hand one. But not bad for a quick job.

Background_Removal-_useing_100__pen_tool__1-removebg.png

Back