One page review, any advice?

Jazajay

Hay guys and gals, I'm a bit of a security nut, so sorry no actual page to review but what do you think of the screen shot below?

delete.png

Usability?
Looks?
Would it be easy to follow?
Would you use it if you where looking for a baby name, or looking up yours?

Something you don't see in the picture is each row has a brownish hover to the entire row to help distinguish the fields that bit better.
As Abigail does in this pic ~

delete2.png

Each link links into a dedicated page of that name.

the white content section is about the size of the DF conent section, so the actual page is also not so cramped looking, either.

Any thoughts good or bad are more than welcome.
Thanks for the time, much appreciated.

Jaz

Hi Jazajay I like the idea of the site, and not that I have any little un's or any plans to in the near future, I am an uncle and more and more of my friends are having babies so yeah I think I'd use it! very cool idea to me!

Looks very usable and with something like this that's definatley key!

One thought is that you could separate boys/girls names in the main view, baby blue / pink ?? not sure how wld be best , background colours or link colours or just some sort of icon?

Darn it, I've redesigned the page and in the original I have the wording on gender colour coded.
Blue for boys, pink for girls, purple for unisex.

Thanks man I needed a total overhaul so I must have missed it.

This is 1 sub section of 1 of the 5 main areas, but thanks for the feedback, I'll get on to that.
Cheers.

Jaz

I'd change the wording from male and female to boy and girl as tbwcf suggests, sounds a bit more suited to the site for some reason :) does the site have a name/logo at this stage?

(Also for SEO I'm sure people would be more likely to search for 'baby boy names' over 'male baby names' etc)

(Also for SEO I'm sure people would be more likely to search for 'baby boy names' over 'male baby names' etc)
:lol: That they would and that's a pretty good suggestion actually.

My URL, title element and h1 when they are selected all say boys and girls, but by having it in the actual page would make more sense to their algorithms, TBH, nice catch, and also a massive usability benefit as well IMO, so cheers for that.

I'll get on to it.
Jaz

I agree with tbwcf about the link colours, als oi would use a more custom link colour for the ones at the top, to tie in more with the design.
Have you considered using some tiny icons for the other pages, just to make it less text heavy?
You can find some great ones here - famfamfam.com: Icons

OK I've changed it, but do you guys and gals think that the heading for the coloum should change to?
Because gender therefore does not go.

Any suggestions to the wording, having a mental block as this is page 8 I've done today, so.........

@Blueocto, thanks for the suggestions they are very much appreciated, I have bookmarked that site, looks well good I may add.

The links I'm going to keep blue, well black in other areas, but that's a different thing, lol, due to the fact that people have an easier time working out that blue underlined text is a link, and not just bolded text and thus reduces confusion and thus improves conversion, i may have a look at lightening them up though as it will go with a bit of the top and bottom design, but also keeping in the usability concept as well, so....... I'll have a go at getting the balance between design and usability better.

So thanks for the feedback, very much appreciated.

Jaz

Jay, just had a thought with your main background image, I think it wouldbe quite nice if you had a light blue sky with a few clouds images repeating across the top of the page area, then maybe a little green landscape at the bottom, imagine something like a nursery wallpaper or similar?! I'm sure you could pick up some suitable vector images on a site like iStock... just an idea :)

I actually had that idea TBH, however my idea came to me when I saw it on another baby advice site, :lol:

OK so maybe it didn't come to me in an epiphany. :D

So as it is pretty much what you just described I may land myself in a tad bit of trouble, legally wise TBH lol.

mmmmmmm could go with something like baby teddy bears, toy trains that sort of thing but getting the balance right between blue and pink might be a bit hard, and going for 1 would not be good, usability wise, I'll have a go after I create the forum, and community sections. O yey, lol.

Again thanks for the feedback.

Any ideas on the wording of the word gender?
This is what it looks like now ~

delete4.png

mmmmm think I may apply more padding to the left of the cells.

You're going to hate me for this suggestion, but I'm going to make it anyway... :p... how about the ability to rate the popularity of the names? So visitors can come along and click 'top 20 boy names' and see the names in rating order to get an idea of what's liked at the moment?

One small thing I'd change it to Boy/Girl, atm you have Boy/Girls (small thing I know!!)

Why not use yellow/green's as they are considered neutral colours, when you don't know the babies sex yet.
And i don't think you could really use another word for Gender, apart from Sex, which isn't too great a word like.

@Greg
Yeah already done, it's on the actual dedicated baby name page, they can also leave a comment and add a pic so ha, lol.

I hate it when you come around you normal increase my work load by 24 hours because your suggestions are just that good, lol.

That said it is on the site search function as well, so it may make more sense to add it to the actual baby name search, different and is what this page is, as well, so dam you Greg, lol.

I bet you see me help threads and just think right how can I make his day longer today?
I know you do, so don't say you don't, lol.

@ Blueocto
I know you are probably right TBH, I'll have a think.

Cheers for the time guys and gals, much appreciated.
Jaz

Jazajay said:
That said it is on the site search function as well, so it may make more sense to add it to the actual baby name search, different and is what this page is, as well, so dam you Greg, lol.

I bet you see me help threads and just think right how can I make his day longer today?
I know you do, so don't say you don't, lol.

Yeah think it would be good to have a little stars rating system or something more appropriate to the theme like little dummy icons or something? Sure the site blueocto pointed you to earlier will have something suitable :)

And no of course I don't try and make your day longer, I try and make it shorter ;) why should you get to see daylight if I don't?! lol

can you change the css so the link text (all... names, A B C... all of it) is all the same colour as the h1. (the nice pleasant light blue).

i do hate those generic blue standard links.

also... boy (singular) girls (plural) - or has someone mentioned that yet..?

Jim

I don't try and make your day longer, I try and make it shorter
Always the optimist Greg, you always are, lol.

Yeah I'll check out Blueocto's link anyway to see if their is anything better than what I have, so thanks Blueocto.

I may just copy the stuff from the site search page TBH, as that would then mean anyone who has already used the site search function, or visa versa, would know how it works straight away with out actual having to read the links, if that makes sense, does to me anyway.

Arrrrrr all comments I've had are all extremely helpful, cheers to everyone who has posted already, very much appreciated, if anyone has any other thoughts please feel free to share.

Cheers guys, thanks tbwcf for picking up the colours, I probably would have just moved on and not even noticed, so thanks buddy.

Jaz

@Jim
No, no one has, and nice catch I'm all for the little details.
I don't want to change it to the same as the h1, as the h1 is not a link and therefore when people see a link that colour they will assume that all the h1's are thus links, when they are not, but I may make it lighter though #080FF comes to mind.

I only know that because I have used it a few times, I'm not actually that sad, lol.

But thanks for the feedback buddy.

Forgive my lack of web based knowledge and skills - but my eyes are being drawn towards the typeface on the search button - its a bad typeface that.

And the alpabetical letters - could they not be say - childs building blocks with letters on?

It doesn't have that 'baby' look - to me - if it wasnt in english - i'd have no idea what the site was.

O don't worry about the web design skills, I want the design perspective.

....but my eyes are being drawn towards the typeface on the search button - its a bad typeface that.
No worries I'll have a look at changing it.

And the alpabetical letters - could they not be say - childs building blocks with letters on?
That's a very good idea :clap:

It doesn't have that 'baby' look - to me - if it wasnt in english - i'd have no idea what the site was.

Again good point, however you are missing the header, site name, tag line, global navigation, URL, and bread links which all help in that department, but I do get what you mean and that is an important aspect. :)

Back