One of the greatest CMS options for designers

LeVon

... is Textpattern

I can't remember the last time I was so excited about a piece of technology. I have recently been introduced to this CMS and I seriously cant understand why I've never heard of it before.

For a long time I've been searching for a CMS that is lightweight, something that can integrate with my own design, not the other way round. I always felt that, to make a Wordpress installation your own, you needed to reverse engineer and strip away parts of the body work.

I then looked into other lightweight CMS solutions like Perch and Simple CMS where you inject pieces of dynamic code into your website. Then I found Textpattern.

From my understanding of Textpattern so far:

• It is free and open source
  • It integrates into your existing XHTML + CSS
  • You can create templates of your website, enabling your client to create pages
  • Your can turn your static XHTML into a fully functional blog
  • There is a large community with many plugins available
  • It runs on LAMP
Please excuse my enthusiasm, I am by no means a professional on Textpattern usage. I generally feel that it is what many of you are looking for in a CMS solution, because it's what I've been looking for.
I urge you to check it out.

Apologies for the double post but I am intrigued as to whether anyone has taken the plunge with Textpattern. If anyone has any questions to ask on whether it's worth their worth, please go ahead. Bare in mind I’m still learning myself :)

You have given good explanation about Text-pattern CMS. :up: How far it is useful for designers, please tell me its best advantage for designing, is there any new feature that other CMS doesn't have any-think else you have not mentioned may be? :rolleyes: Thanks in advance :cool:
(ott)

They say images express a thousand words.

All :) says though is "I'm smiling"
1. 2. 3 words

But it's all good, we've seen smiley-abuse around here before. I'm not looking at anyone in particular though.

chrismitchell *cough*

I'm always using Wordpress for my clients sites (even static sites) but it offers so much in the way of designing and for users to get on well with the backend. It would be good to get into other CMS options to broaden my CMS output for clients. This could definitely be one I use...

I had seen this cms before but not used it yet. After reading your post I decided to give it a try. It seems to have alot of functionality. Basic configuration is pretty straightforward, but I want to be able to make custom templates so it looks like it will take some time to look into that. Anyway, thanks for the tip.

I'm glad to see a lot of people giving it a go.
There's a video here that describes the Textpattern system and how it turns your Dreamweaver website into a CMS managed site: The Textpattern System : A CMS for designers | Creative Fail

You just have to remember that the Textpattern Page is kind of like your template, it's where your HTML layout goes. The wording in your website should be made into Textpattern Articles and Textpattern Forms are what join the two together.

Back