Older People Icon

Dave L

Any ideas on a positive icon to depict elderly people which doesn't make reference to failing mobility (or have any other negative connotations)?

10 design points for the best idea!

D.

I've seen similar but I'm not really sold on the idea of old-fashioned-ness as a positive thing.

Could you do the hair as gray/bald in middle/glasses/cardigan.

It's hard to do an icon without being sterotypical of something
Women's toilet - skirt
Conductor - uniform
Policeman - bobby hat/truncheon
Business man - tie
Business woman - skirt cravat
Disabled - wheelchair (which I hate because you don't need to be in a wheelchair to be disabled)
Sikh - Turban (I don't know if that's offensive, sorry if it is)
Bellhop - hat

Can you simply depict grey hair and a grey beard, with very simple or no facial features, maybe glasses?

What's the context/it to be used for?

I'd go for something that's a common denominator (you could call it a stereotype I suppose), something simple like glasses and a 'dated hairstyle' like below.

It's clearly an elderly couple but I wouldn't say it's a negative portrayal of them. I'd just focus on the faces/hairstyles. Just a few faint lines beside the eyes could be enough to convey age (and wrinkles are something you can't really avoid).

15464772-The-new-darling-of-the-elderly-an-elder-Character-Stock-Vector-elder.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The context is a health sector infographic for a government department. I'm quite limited in what I can achieve as it's a replacement icon for part of a set comprising very basic/reduced figures so small details are problematic.

It can't be as detailed as some of the above suggestions as it is for an icon.

How about:

Woman with handbag & hat with flower sticking out the back

Man with hat and glasses.

Colour grey.

Walking stick would really help but I know you want to avoid that kind of stereotype.

Thanks again for the input, folks: the client conceded the point in the end and we went with the original idea (featuring a walking stick).

Back