Old printing Processes......

NeonThunder

there coming back!!!!! Well have be gradually for a while now, it's so good to see tradition techniques being brought back to life!!!

Im thinking of treating myself to some Thermo Printed cards in the next couple of months :D a special short run lol i know its sad but i love print!

So has anyone got a printing process they have used, or would like to use on a project, whats your favourite?

yep, there's certainly a renaissance going on which I'm pretty happy about.

I always liked letterpress printing and was actually trained in it whilst still at college.
I like the way it de-bossed the cards.

I've also been toying with the idea of doing some block printing and finally doing some hand carved blocks thanks to Lee-Anne for giving me the tools.
Check these guys out for some awesome stamp making:
https://www.englishstamp.com/

On top of that I'm going to build a little studio at the top of my garden this summer as I want to get back into doing some traditional sign-writing.
Just building up some kit and I've already got my lettering quills.

NeonThunder said:
there coming back!!!!! Well have be gradually for a while now, it's so good to see tradition techniques being brought back to life!!!

Im thinking of treating myself to some Thermo Printed cards in the next couple of months :D a special short run lol i know its sad but i love print!

So has anyone got a printing process they have used, or would like to use on a project, whats your favourite?
Hi - yes great to see the renewed interest traditional methods - I've never been that keen on Thermo, it nearly always looks "watery" on the edges. Die stamping is the best for a raised image as it gives better opacity - but more expensive.

- David

scotty said:

I always liked letterpress printing and was actually trained in it whilst still at college.

I've also been toying with the idea of doing some block printing and finally doing some hand carved blocks thanks to Lee-Anne for giving me the tools.

On top of that I'm going to build a little studio at the top of my garden this summer as I want to get back into doing some traditional sign-writing.
Hi Scotty - all very interesting, good to be hands-on making something rather than looking at a screen.

The "garden studio" is something I've been interested in and looking into for a while - I like the look of these https://dunsterhouse.co.uk/lienne-mkii-right-w6-2m-x-d2-7m?gclid=COj3urflp8MCFcvJtAodCQYA9A

Best wishes - David

Dave, that "garden studio" looks AWESOME and I guess if you can justify one it's not a bad price either.

I always wanted to do a shipping container conversion from back before they were popular but I'd need to get one craned in over my house.

I've decided to build mine from scratch using as much found, reclaimed and up-cycled stuff as I can and going for a slightly modern shabby chic look complete with a wood burner for those cold nights.
Maybe an optic........ for those cold nights. ;)

scotty said:

Oops, I completely forgot about those extra bits of lino! I'll re-dig them out & try to remember them when I do the post run this week, sorry!

PS I'll ignore the extra "e" on the end of my name there ;)

Yes, there’s something about short run, old fashioned methods that can never be matched electronically.

I don’t have a garden now but if I was contemplating a garden office it would be something like this as I love natural light.

mono-office-all-glass-550.png

wac said:
Yes, there’s something about short run, old fashioned methods that can never be matched electronically.

I don’t have a garden now but if I was contemplating a garden office it would be something like this as I love natural light.

mono-office-all-glass-550.png
'loves natural light' and glare on pc screen :p

Something like that would likely cost around £30k.... for something that only really costs about £10k, got to love 'designer' pricing lol

Having said that I've toyed with the idea of an outside office (design and build it myself for considerably less than the 'designer companies') on many occasions, then I think about security of equipment etc and it puts me off. It's not exactly hard to build a timber version (I wouldn't want a 'metal' one) or even a brick one (thanks Dad, he is/was a builder) for that matter.

Seem to have got off the subject here - did you get the thermo cards? - maybe you could post a photo of the end result?

Back