Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old designer here

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by Howard Fillingham, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Howard Fillingham

Howard Fillingham New Member

Just to say what a great profession this is. We should count ourselves lucky, don't you think? This is one of the few professions where you can work for yourself from home with very little initial costs up front if that's what you want to do.
    There aren't that many jobs where you can do that. Been doing graphic design since 1970, still going.
    Oh, and I'm looking for a legit copy of Design Standard CS6 Mac if someone has a copy they don't need.
  2. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Hey Howard,

Welcome to GDF from another veteran.
    Design still floats my boat but I still like to have the odd moan about it on here. ;)
  3. Howard Fillingham

Thanks Scotty. Yes, seen a lot of changes, especially when Macs came along, a whole new ball game, steep learning curve. My first job in 1970 was producing artwork for food tubs, much the same as today, only then it was all Letraset, Rotrings and gouache. Having to rub down lettering on a curve that when reduced to 4pt had to be on the right radius. Now it's easy.
    scotty likes this.
  4. scotty

scotty Well-Known Member

Back when designers had balls of steel.
    No "Apple+Z" back then.
  5. Howard Fillingham

Dead right, just photo opaque to paint over those tiny mistakes !!
  6. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Reminds me of my Foundation Course many years ago. Absolutely loved Gouache!
  7. @GCarlD

@GCarlD Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums btw!
  8. Howard Fillingham

Actually I meant Process white, which was an essential tool then amongst lots of other things. Still got a lot of the old kit. Remember the old type Geliot Whitman scales? Ah memories.
  9. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Hey Howard, welcome to the GDF, good to have you here.
  10. Howard Fillingham

Why, thank you kindly Boss Hog Administrator Staff Member...... How the hell did he ever keep his suits so clean?
  11. AlanNunez

AlanNunez Member

+1 +1 +1

Work from home, the beach, the Cafe...Or wherever I feel like.