Print Reseller Scheme
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohaii.

Discussion in 'Introduction Forum:' started by MattRich, Jun 22, 2013.

1. MattRich

MattRich New Member

Hello I'm Matt from Worcester. Just completed year 2 of a degree in Graphic Design and having realised that everything I have learned I could have learned in books for a fraction of the price, I am currently deciding whether or not to progress to year 3. I wouldn't mind some opinions on this actually.

I'm 37 so I've left it quite late to change careers but design is my passion and I'm thrilled to be involved in it again. I feel that I don't really need the third year in order to start work as a designer, and as I will be going self employed it's likely that it will be of no consequence if I don't complete the final year. My tutors tell me that I have ability and a great creative mind and I feel that I do ok with the projects I take on.

I want to get out there and start finding proper work. I'm ready now!

Any thoughts on that are welcome.

Anyhoo I love typography, photography and I still like drawing my mad cartoon illustrations. I do stand up comedy too.

That's me! Hello.

2. Corrosive

Corrosive Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the forum Matt.

3. Wardy

Wardy Active Member

Hi, welcome to the Forum.

4. Stationery Direct

Stationery Direct Administrator Staff Member

Hi Matt

Another welcome to the GDF.

Cheers

Damon

5. Edge

Edge Active Member

If there wasn't a cost implication I'd say finish it as you never know when you might need to supply a CV and an unfinished degree doesn't look good. You also miss out on the opportunity of getting a 1st which would look very good - to me anyway, but opinions differ. I jut take it as a sign that someone is focused and smart.

You can get out there and start working but work is thin on the ground and pay isn't good so there's another reason to spend another year at Uni. I know of students who freelance anyway so nothing to stop you building up your portfolio.

MattRich likes this.
  6. ARRIVALS

ARRIVALS Well-Known Member

Hi Matt, welcome to the forum.

7. MattRich

MattRich New Member

Thank You Edge.

So you would say times are tough in the industry? Are there any areas of design where things are going well?

8. Edge

Edge Active Member

More like competitive - work is out there but margins are thin. The 'innovative' sectors like mobile & responsive design are reasonably buoyant.

9. MattRich

MattRich New Member

Ok I've done a little web design on my course so I think I know what you mean by that. Mobile apps and websites which self modify depending on the screen they are being shown on? I notice you're a web designer.