Now... be nice!

Jimlad

So I set up my portfolio site on Squarespace over a year ago now. I've gone through umpteen templates and tinkered and tweaked it to within an inch of its coding. I'm pretty happy with it and the clean, simple look it has, as I want the work to stand out and navigation to be simple and snappy. The less effort it is for someone to see my work and contact me, the better.

Now might be the time for fresh eyes, so I invite you all to have a look and let me know if there's anything glaringly obvious that could do with being addressed.

Thanks guys.

http://www.algarillustration.com

bullet points - I do like bullet points :)

homepage/about - icons could do with a hover or something to highlight they're links... bit like you've got on the work page. Also thinking the 'image block' could be shifted left a bit, centre the link images not your image and the link images. Responsive (mobile) page seems to have extra margins over the desktop page... might be better without

work page - educational murals (3rd top row) doesn't wiggle when you hover over it like the others.. not sure why.

video page - bit slow loading but I know that's down to the youtube embeded files... not sure why but it happens everywhere.

All pages - could maybe do with increasing font size by a couple of pt.

Overall looks good in my opinion.

Levi said:
homepage/about - icons could do with a hover or something to highlight they're links... bit like you've got on the work page. Also thinking the 'image block' could be shifted left a bit, centre the link images not your image and the link images. Responsive (mobile) page seems to have extra margins over the desktop page... might be better without
Thanks Levi. As I'm no coder these things might be tough to fix until I learn the appropriate magic writing to put into the Page Header Code Injection box... I did try changing the website content alignment from Centre to Left, but it was abominable and had to change back.

Levi said:
work page - educational murals (3rd top row) doesn't wiggle when you hover over it like the others.. not sure why.
It does on my screen, maybe it was a temporary glitch? I'll try it on a different machine later.

Levi said:
video page - bit slow loading but I know that's down to the youtube embeded files... not sure why but it happens everywhere.
I have the vids hosted on YouTube as it's easy to link them to other sites from there, so I may have to put up with that. If my work revolved around video production it might be worth another solution.

Levi said:
All pages - could maybe do with increasing font size by a couple of pt.
All main text has just been changed from 15pt to 17pt, same with the navigation links. Thanks.

Levi said:
Overall looks good in my opinion.
Thanks for taking the time.

Ok so I may have been able to improve the About page. Rather than shift everything to the left, I was able to put a spacer block on the right of the content, within the main site area. The end result is the right side moved but not the whole thing. To keep it looking balanced I reduced the number of images in the gallery and changed the aspect ratio of the thumbnails.

Let me know what you think, the updated page is at http://www.algarillustration.com/about2

still think it needs moving to the left and I prefer the 'wider' look on my 16:9 screen. Could also do with being moved up just a tad after looking at it again.

This is based from firebug and tweaking it from there :)

For height:
Change (it's in the html code)

<section id="container" class="page" style="margin-top: 150px;">
to

<section id="container" class="page" style="margin-top: 100px;">
I've tried shifting the block left... it's a right pita, I can shift it but it cuts off part of your picture or it screws up everything else lol. Got to love templates with random css naming

As to the image hover... likely needs :hover and background colour adding to the relevant css but I can't find the right bit, the css names are a pita lol

Also noticed the menu breaks a little at 'ipad' portrait resolutions, it still works but it's drops on to two lines now. Not sure how your mobile menu activates but it might be worth using it for portrait ipad res of 768 :)

Thanks for spending the time Levi, I appreciate it. I'll look into the technical hoo ha bits, though I may need to take some time on that. So long as no glaring smelling pisstakes are there, the website is easy and clear to navigate, and there's no content that looks out of place (or something missing you'd normally expect to see), they're my primary focus at present.

I couldn't see any spelling/grammar issues but I'll take another look a bit later for you.

Back